Advice on MP3/CD player to buy..iRiver?
Feb 22, 2003 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rainman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

In Toronto, there are several MP3/CD players that you can buy. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, iRiver(RioVolt) to name a few.

I've got a small budget and I'm looking to get an MP3/CD player.

I've also heard iRiver's ChromeX and SlimX is a top notch MP3/CD player.

What does everyone think is an excellent MP3/CD player for the $100-150-200 budget range?

I've seen the iRiver ChromeX go for $108 CDN.(after Mail In Rebate of $30USD, so it's really $160CDN).
www.CanadaComputers.com has it for sale!

The smaller the price, the more realistic the possibility of me buying one.

Thanks

Feb 22, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 20
I have the ChromeX and I'm very pleased with it.
The headphone out sounds very good, much better than my old Sony PCDP D-E305. The lineout is a joke. When I first connected it to my stereo I didn't hear anything. I had to crank up the players volume completely and the EQ settings influance the sound also. I suspect the player has got two headphone outs.

The features on this baby are countless! And with every firmware upgrade (6 times a year) they think of something new to add.

The batterylife with mp3 CD's is over 13 hrs using 1800mah rechargebles. With the newest firmware they clame it's an hour more. But I haven't tried this yet.
With regular audio CD's it's rather poor. The same batteries gave me 4 hrs 20 min. continious play.
I've been thinking about getting another PCDP with better batterylife just for audio CD's but I'm afraid the soundquality is not as good and I will still use the ChromeX. So for now I decided to just charge the batteries more often.

Feb 22, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 20
Hey, I own the D-CJ01 mp3 player. I regret having getting this cd player. I should have gotten an iriver. DONT get the sony mp3 player. However, the only advantage it has over the iriver.. Is battery life. My friend's PCDP battery craps out after 10 hours. However, the D-CJ01 uses AA batteries.. And i usually get 20+ hours in mp3 mode. 25+ in Audio cd mode. Well. Thats just something you need to check out i guess.
derek

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 20
I would take a look at the SlimX, either the iMP350 or the iMP400. The sound quality is very good...the headphone outs sound quality easily beats all other pcdp's that are equally priced on the current market. There are some people on this forum that say the new model SlimX (the iMP400) has better sound quality compared to the iMP350...I had a talk with an iRiver rep and she said that the sound quality is the exact same. On the spec sheet for the iMP400 on the website, it states something like "improved sound quality"...but actually all that means is, with the iMP400, iRiver has attempted to remove the so-called "hiss," that some and only SOME PEOPLE, complain of. So that's that!! A LOT of people also will say that the line out sounds like crap and is just another headphone out...they are right to a certain extent. If everyone absolutely loves the headphone out and says the line out is just another headphone out, then that means that the line out is still pretty dern good! I know what real sound from real instruments sound like having experienced many live symphonic and orchestra concerts...the reason being is because I have an Uncle that plays professionally in an Orchestra. He and I both believe that the iRiver produces a fair amount in realism in its sound presentation...I'm NOT saying it's exactly like real life, but it's pretty dern good for a pcdp at this price range. From my experience, the Sony's D-EJ1000 and EJ2000 line outs are a tad better, but not "THAT" much better...certainly not night and day! In some cases, I prefer the SlimX's line out because those Sony players can be too over-emphasized in its presentation of sound (i.e. too bright or too much bass). And there's not much else to say about the fact that the iRiver lets you play MP3's as data files from a cd other than, it's totally awesome!!! Overall, with all its glory, and extremely useful features, the SlimX is easily one of the best port players out there right now. Trust all of us that recommend this product when we say, "you certainly will not be dissapointed with a SlimX." Good luck to you in finding your own bliss in sound!

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 20
My iMP-350 says it plays MP3 and WMA files. And while *some* MP3-compatible PCDPs require that discs with MP3 files be formatted using packet-writing software (such as Roxio DirectCD), and then files written on that disc as if it were another floppy disk (but not all packet-writing software conforms to the same compatibility standard) - and *some* MP3-compatible PCDPs require that the files be placed inside subfolders (not the root folder) - the SlimX can accept mastered (burned) data CDs with MP3 files on them, regardless of whether the files are located in subfolders or not. This means that I can master (burn) a data CD-ROM with something like Nero 5.5, and just slap on MP3 files on the disc, then burn away. Just be sure to close (finalize) the disc before you attempt to play the disc on the SlimX - otherwise, if the disc isn't finalized, the SlimX will take way too long trying to read the unfinalized disc, with a devastating effect on battery life. (Of course, the SlimX can read packet-written CDs if you prefer such formatting.)

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 20
Has anyone here ever compared the soundquality of the ChromeX and the SlimX. Cause I suspect that it isn't very different. But I just don't know. I only know that the ChromeX is really really good. And from everything I've read so is the SlimX.
The SlimX output is higher but does that say a lot when you listen to easy driven phones?
Besides the size of the players is there really that much more quality between them?

Feb 22, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Can't comment on the ChromeX but I know the SlimX 350 sounds better than the Iriver2 by quite a margin.

The hiss I think is caused by low-impedence phones like the 888 and ER4P's - plug in a 4S adaptor cable and the hiss (and sadly volume) goes away.

The SlimX does work well with Koss 35's and PortaPro's and thankfully the MX-500's.

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 20
I have a ChromeX and I like it. I've read that the sound quality is the same as the SlimX's. I don't play regular CDs with my ChromeX for 2 reasons: very low battery life and I hear odd clicking every now and then during the songs. It's great for playing my --alt-preset standard mp3s though. The battery life is okay. I get about 15 hours from 2 AA's. It could be better (although iRiver's latest firmware update increases battery life). According to iRiver's site the SlimX has a greater battery life.

I didn't want the SlimX because (I think) you have to use the remote to do pretty much anything. I don't like remotes because the cord to my V6 is already long enough.

Sound quality is the best I've ever heard from a portable CD player, although I can't say I've heard many top of the line portables (I use the Metal EQ... it seems to have the best balance between treble and bass). I've never noticed any hissing with any songs. The Line Out is decent enough for using with a car adapter.

The ChromeX doesn't come with a car or AC adapter. I have several Sony car adapters and AC adapters lyring around, so I decided to try it and both work fine, so no need to spend extra on that.

Personally, I'd rather own a Nomad Jukebox 3, and I'd buy one if I didn't have a drumming addiction.
biggrin.gif
The ChromeX will suffice in the mean time. I don't think you can go wrong with the ChromeX or SlimX. The ChromeX is a bit heavy, but that doesn't bother me since I usually have it on my lap, somewhere next to me, or in my backpack.

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 20
Posted by Peddler:
Quote:

Can't comment on the ChromeX but I know the SlimX 350 sounds better than the Iriver2 by quite a margin.

The hiss I think is caused by low-impedence phones like the 888 and ER4P's - plug in a 4S adaptor cable and the hiss (and sadly volume) goes away.

The SlimX does work well with Koss 35's and PortaPro's and thankfully the MX-500's.

This is exactly why I've said that I have never heard the apparent hiss that other people hear...but people have had a hard time believing me. Now I know of at least another person who knows what I am talking about! Thanx Peddler!!!

Feb 22, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 20
When I bought my iMP 350, I first went to J&R music to (NYC) do some comparative testing. I was pretty smart to bring my own batteries along, because as I suspected, when confronting the slivering snake like salesman, he said that there were no batteries in the unit ! So, thankfully, I saw the external battery pack for the 350 and told him to hook it up, or hand it over. He gave me both models to try..the chrome and the one I got. I'll say this about the chrome x.... It seemed to be noticeably louder overall, compared to the 350. How this is possible, I don't know, but that was my first impression. The audio quality on the Chrome is really good, and is pretty close to the 350...I didn't have much time with them lurking, but I thought that the 350 sounded a bit smoother..less brittle on the high end but perhaps a bit more muddy on the low end.

Aside from that...nothing. They're both excellent sounding units. For the price, the Chrome X is a hell of a deal. I would definetely get that one over the Panasonic MP L35 for sure. It's also very , very sturdy feeling. I once tried this Panasonic, I think it's the MP90 or something...man, a paper plate is constructed better than this thing ! And they have the nerve to charge $179 for it.

P.S. I used my Porta Pros and a CD by a band called Zero 7.

Feb 23, 2003 at 10:52 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Khazim
I have a ChromeX and I like it. I've read that the sound quality is the same as the SlimX's. I don't play regular CDs with my ChromeX for 2 reasons: very low battery life and I hear odd clicking every now and then during the songs.

That clicking was troubleling me too until i found out that you only hear it with the enhance antishok on. You know, when you see that '-' with the '~' thingies on top and under it. That icon. You know what i mean?
When you put that of the antishok is still on (but i quess less??) and you don't hear that strange clicking anymore. That's when the CD icon (or the folder icon depending on the firmware version) is visible.

Also in Europe the ChromeX comes with a netadapter.

Feb 23, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 20
Firstly, the batterylife of the ChromeX and SlimX.
The SlimX has better batterylife only if you use the outside batteryholder. Not with the gumsticks. If you compare with only those the ChromeX gives you a couple of hours more cause of the AA's it uses.

Secondly, which is the iRiver2?
The imp-400 or the imp-250?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back