Advice on Mid- Higher range IEM
Oct 26, 2008 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
Hi,

Just joined the forum as a member. Came across this forum many years ago, and back then, if I'm not wrong Shure and Etys where the most popular choice, and portable amps were just introduced.

I bought a pair of superfi3 a week ago. This is my foray into the world of IEMs. Was using audio-technica canal-phones previously.

Now I'm seriously considering on the next pair. I have read many posts of IEMs, have auditioned UMs 1 and 2, q-Jays, Sleek Audio, and Atrios. Bought the superfi3 partly beacause I'm new into this and wanted a safe choice, and I like UE's sound signature. Q-Jays and the Atrio M5 don't cut out for me.

I hope the next IEM will be the end of the line and I am seriously considering Triplefi. I won't go into customs anytime soon.

What I am concerned is that, for a premium price for a "earphone" is it money well spent? Or is this purely the realm of audiophiles?
The quality of it depends on the user's hearing and ability to tell the difference. With my superfi3, I found it to be a great leap from typical dynamic driver earphones.

I tend to use my earphones for everything 9even the computer). I listen mostly to rock, instrumental rock, some vocals, if it's classical it would be something like Hans Zimmer or Lord of the Rings OST.

Thanks

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi Geralt...

What sources / bitrates do you listen to? - This will make a difference as to what you would want to upgrade to...

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Alright Geralt...

I would have thought that the Triple.Fi will be a massive step up from the Super.Fi 3, and that you don't need to be an audiophile to appreciate this difference.

I don't have experience of any UE earphones, but like you I was unsure whether it's really worth paying top price if you're not an audiophile. I tried out loads of different lower-end and a few mid-price IEMs but never found one that I was all round happy with. Eventually I decided to just go ahead and try some top-level IEMs (in my case the Westone UM2) and I loved them instantly.

You sometimes hear about the law of diminishing returns when you get over a certain price point ... yes they are better, but not that much better ... well in my case they were FAR better than anything else I'd previously heard.

As I say, I've not had any UE products but the Trilple.Fi are very highly regarded so I say go for it.

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 5
duncan:

Well the bitrates I listen to are 256 and above, if not they are mostly from CDs.

digivate:

I actually fell in love with the triplefi's first. But I was unsure of paying for the massive price tag for a first IEM. If u ask me, I tried the superfi5 pro, indeed there's a difference but it's not vast. So in the end I settled for superfi3.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 5
A warning about the triple.fi-10:

They're HUGE. Really, really big. Pictures don't do them justice. If you don't have enormous Dumbo ears, you should definitely audition them before purchase. I did, and because I did I did not buy them; no matter what I did I couldn't get a comfortable seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back