Advice on location to buy replacement (generic) earpads for AKG K420
Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

marck

New Head-Fier
Looking for advice regarding replacement of ear pads for headphones, and also to share my experience for any folks who are keen to switch over from earphones to headphones.

I am from Singapore and bought my first headphone - AKG K420, from 3 years ago. I am completely satisfied with how music sounded through the K420. However, I have a huge bugbear about its ear pads.

The ear pads are soft fabric material, and feel very comfortable. But they are not durable. The ear pads disintegrated after slightly more than a year. I bought a replacement pair a year ago, and now have to look for another pair. The service center is located in a very remote part of Singapore, and based on the few retail shops I asked, they do not carry the ear pads for K420. This means my only option is to go back to the distributor, but they only open in the day on weekdays – you have to take time off just to buy the ear pads! When I provided my feedback, they stick to the same stand that ‘you have to come down to get the ear pads’. This experience is very frustrating.

An alternative is to get generic ear pads. Again, the retail shops tell me they do not sell generic ones.

Need advice:
       Does anyone know where I can purchase K420 ear pads (if not from distributor) within Singapore?
        Does anyone know where I can buy generic ear pads within Singapore?
        Is this problem common for headphones with ear pads?

Lastly, for would-be headphones buyers, my advice is to consider where the service center is, when you buy your headphone, in case it breaks down, or need to get specific spare parts. You can save plenty of frustration in the later part of the lifecycle of your headphones.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 3
eBay lists several sellers of ear pads for the K420

Users who are viewing this thread

Back