advice on iTouch out of the box w/o iTunes
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rajan

100+ Head-Fier
Wifey will be on vacation in the USA. I am planning to get her an Ipod Touch stateside for her entertainment and as a portable computer to connect to the internet using wifi.

Please assume that she is not able to access a computer and the device will not see iTunes while travelling.

1. Can the iTouch connect to the internet out of the box?
2. Can it download and install free applications using wifi (without initial sync with iTunes) from the app store?

TIA

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 5
As far as I remember, the iPod Touch needs to be set up in iTunes before you can use any of the features. If she bought it at an Apple Store, she might be able to use a computer there to set it up. You can buy music directly from the iTunes store with the built-in app.

Setup issues aside, the Touch is pretty awesome for the intended use here. Any time I don't want to lug a laptop around, I just grab my iPod. Much more convenient.

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 5
thanks...

what happens to the apps/data loaded into the iTouch if it was initially set up in a computer other than ours and then she comes home syncing the iTouch with our computer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I remember, the iPod Touch needs to be set up in iTunes before you can use any of the features. If she bought it at an Apple Store, she might be able to use a computer there to set it up.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 5
If you manually manage your music, then connecting your Ipod to a different computer shouldnt change a thing. Before you give her the ipod, make sure to download the new firmware which gets rid of skips on lossless files.

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 5
They should be able to get you set up at an apple store.. I just had mine replaced and they offered to activate it at the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back