Advice on improving my system
Dec 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daigriff

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I was after some advice in taking the next step with my set up.

I currently have Ultrasone Pro-900's and listen to ALAC files on an ipod classic through a Fiio E12.  As my home unit I have the Pioneer VSX-921K.

I was looking at moving to a better amp.  I was originally thinking of a better portable amp, but given I mostly listen to them at home I wondered if a dedicated desktop headphone amp would be more beneficial to sound quality through the cans.

I'm looking to decide which way to go, then look for an appropriate unit.  Any input appreciated.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 9
  I was after some advice in taking the next step with my set up.

I currently have Ultrasone Pro-900's and listen to ALAC files on an iPod classic through a Fiio E12.  As my home unit I have the Pioneer VSX-921K.

I was looking at moving to a better amp.  I was originally thinking of a better portable amp, but given I mostly listen to them at home I wondered if a dedicated desktop headphone amp would be more beneficial to sound quality through the cans.

I'm looking to decide which way to go, then look for an appropriate unit.  Any input appreciated.

You could easily use the FiiO E12 as a home headphone amplifier.
Maybe invest into Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphones and plug them straight into the Pioneer?
What sources do you feed into the Pioneer?

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 9
To clarify, I do use the Fiio at home, but I'm looking to upgrade either to a better portable or desktop (for my headphones), but would like advice on which would sound better - desktop/portable.  Would I be better upgrading my home unit (Pioneer)/portable(e12)?

Source is ALAC from ipod classic.  

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 9
It's hard to say without being more specific. Do you want tubes or solid state? What kind of general sound signature? Do you use that Pioneer for speakers as well?

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 9
The Pioneer drives my 5.1 at home.

To be honest hadn't thought as far as tubes/solid state.  Would go with whichever gives the better sound improvement.

I'm looking for something that suits the pro-900.  Adjustable bass would be good, enhance the mids, tame some of the sibilance and allow them to cope with congested music better than they do through the E12.

I don't want to focus on these amps specifically, but as an example, I am trying to ascertain if a Matrix M-Stage would suit my purpose more than say a JDS C5 or a Graham Slee Voyager.  Given that as current amps I have the E12 and Pioneer.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 9
I haven't heard either, but the M-Stage has a reputation for being on the warm side, so it might tame some sibilance. It has a relatively high output impedance for an SS amp though. Considering that the Ultrasones are low impedance dynamic headphones, you might be able to get closer to your goals by using a very neutral, low output impedance amp like the O2 and then adjusting the frequency response with EQ. EQ would be easiest if you shifted to listening from a computer. IDK if this is a route you want to take though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back