Advice on High-End Headphones
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
I was looking into possibly getting the Audeze LCD-2, Beyerdynamic T1 or Hifiman HE-500

My current setup are Ultrasone Pro 900s with Schiit Magni/Modi amp and DAC.

My musical tastes are all over, Radiohead and Coheed & Cambria, to Skrillex and Deadmau5.

I tend to like a bassier sound.  For the $1000 range of headphones which would you say is best? As well would I need an upgraded DAC/Amp to properly power them?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 7
my vote goes to the Audeze LCD-2 and i had the T1 and listened to the HE-500.
if you want the most resolving can then this is my rank as i heard T1>LCD-2>HE-500.
as for the sound stage and treble sharpness T1>HE-500>LCD-2 ( not much of a difference between the orthos ).
and the bass LCD-2>HE-500>T1. the bass is just phenomenal on the Audeze and don't worry about the amp, i'm driving mine with 150$ amp\dac and they sound really good just no as good with a powerful amp. your preference is similar to mine, just take the LCD-2 and never look back.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 7
 The LCD2 is the best of the three, both technically and subjectively.

The HE-500 comes very close though and depending on your music tastes and/or budget might make a good choice.

The T1 is a low-fi listening experience at a summit-fi premium, I wouldn't recommend them unless you get them at a good price.

Given your music tastes, preference for bassy sound and DAC/Amp setup, then the LCD2s are the perfect fit. Audeze headphones have the best bass of any headphones bar none. The LCD2s require less power than the HE-500s and much less than the T1s, so with the Schiit they are really your best option. Buy them and don't look back.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 7
I'd say the HE-500, since they are a lot cheaper than the lcd2

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
 The LCD2 is the best of the three, both technically and subjectively.

The HE-500 comes very close though and depending on your music tastes and/or budget might make a good choice.

The T1 is a low-fi listening experience at a summit-fi premium, I wouldn't recommend them unless you get them at a good price.

Given your music tastes, preference for bassy sound and DAC/Amp setup, then the LCD2s are the perfect fit. Audeze headphones have the best bass of any headphones bar none. The LCD2s require less power than the HE-500s and much less than the T1s, so with the Schiit they are really your best option. Buy them and don't look back.

Would you say the HE-500 and LCD-2 are different enough to warrant having both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back