Advice on headphones for Rock music
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Galm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have HD800SDRs right now, and while I love em for a lot of things, my preferred genre has punch and kick that they just don't quite have.

I've heard the Grado PS1000es are really good for rock music, but I wanted to get the opinions of users here.

If it matters my gear is a Cayin iDac-6 with Woo WA7 Fireflies (2nd gen with tube psu).  I like super super don't want to change those, they were already expensive and I really like them.  

Totally open to opinions, would like to keep the price somewhere around 1000-2000.  (Really closer to 1000, the PS1000e's I can get a good deal on some used ones.)

I'm talking about music from like Green Day, The Offspring, Rise Against, etc...  Hard hitting guitars where bass is important.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 10
Run,dont walk,and order a pair of ZMF Atticus.
Currently theres a 6-8 week wait,but so worth it.

Do not be tempted by the more expensive Eikon,which is a nice headphone as well,but its more of a neutral sound.Atticus is what you want for great mids and ferocious slam.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 10
  Run,dont walk,and order a pair of ZMF Atticus.
Currently theres a 6-8 week wait,but so worth it.

Do not be tempted by the more expensive Eikon,which is a nice headphone as well,but its more of a neutral sound.Atticus is what you want for great mids and ferocious slam.

What's your opinion on those vs the Grado PS1000e?

Also those are open backs right?  If the Eikon is a different sound signature, why does it cost more money?

Thanks for the reply.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 10
  What's your opinion on those vs the Grado PS1000e?

Also those are open backs right?  If the Eikon is a different sound signature, why does it cost more money?

Thanks for the reply.

I like Grados okay,but I think that their value lies in their lower price point HPs....For under 300.00 Grados are hard to beat for guitar oriented music.I like the AKG K240 sextett at that price point,but not everybody is equipped to drive them properly and theyre hard to find....so by default Grados are a good substitute.

Once you start climbing the price ladder Grado loses its appeal...wonky peaks and valleys,rolled off sub bass,and questionable comfort all contributed me to seek out other options for rock and metal.....this is of course,my opinion,so YMMV.

The Atticus are closed,or semi-open depending upon whom you ask.

As I said The Eikon is a more neutrally tuned HP,which appeals to the audiophile/goldenear crowd....neutral=flat=audiophile=more $$$$.

The Atticus has incredible slam and really nice mids,with slightly rolled off highs,which is a pretty unique sound that lends itself to rock music,and cranking the volume. Its essentially the exact opposite of your HD800s.  

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 10
  I like Grados okay,but I think that their value lies in their lower price point HPs....For under 300.00 Grados are hard to beat for guitar oriented music.I like the AKG K240 sextett at that price point,but not everybody is equipped to drive them properly and theyre hard to find....so by default Grados are a good substitute.

Once you start climbing the price ladder Grado loses its appeal...wonky peaks and valleys,rolled off sub bass,and questionable comfort all contributed me to seek out other options for rock and metal.....this is of course,my opinion,so YMMV.

The Atticus are closed,or semi-open depending upon whom you ask.

As I said The Eikon is a more neutrally tuned HP,which appeals to the audiophile/goldenear crowd....neutral=flat=audiophile=more $$$$.

The Atticus has incredible slam and really nice mids,with slightly rolled off highs,which is a pretty unique sound that lends itself to rock music,and cranking the volume. Its essentially the exact opposite of your HD800s.  

Interesting.  I'm very used to the soundstage of the HD800s and the PS1000es still have some.  Switching to closed back might be pretty jarring.

Ugh this is just giving me more questions not answers...  Wish I was in an area to try out some of these cans, but I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 10
  Interesting.  I'm very used to the soundstage of the HD800s and the PS1000es still have some.  Switching to closed back might be pretty jarring.

Ugh this is just giving me more questions not answers...  Wish I was in an area to try out some of these cans, but I'm in the middle of nowhere.

For what its worth the Atticus are my next HP purchase. Take a look at my signature and you will see that I currently do not own any closed back HPs,except for my Pioneers,which are more of a collectors item,and never get used.I typically do not like closed back HPs either.

HD800s are considered by many to have the widest sound stage on the planet,so any HP you get will be a step backwards in that regard.Further as you increase bass response typically the sound stage decreases...dont ask me to explain the science,cuz I cant.

Personally I like to buy HPs that excel in areas that my current HPs do not.So in other words I try to avoid redundancy....Yes coming from the bright,revealing,mile wide stage of the HD800,the Atticus will sound totally different...whether you appreciate the difference ,or hate it is the subjective question only your ears can answer. 

Tis the beauty and frustration of this hobby,the more you know,the more questions that arise.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 10
I'd like to second the recommendation on the Atticus.  The sound signature is completely engaging and musical.  I find it DIFFICULT to NOT go all bobble-head when listening to music on this headphone.  I listened to the 1000's for only a few minutes at a local head-fi shop, but they seemed to have highs that were just too much for my ears.  However, it definitely is an intense sound signature.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 10
If you want something completely new, did you consider high end IEM's like Noble Audio's? In my short experience Balanced Armatures do good justice to electric guitars...

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 10
  I'd like to second the recommendation on the Atticus.  The sound signature is completely engaging and musical.  I find it DIFFICULT to NOT go all bobble-head when listening to music on this headphone.  I listened to the 1000's for only a few minutes at a local head-fi shop, but they seemed to have highs that were just too much for my ears.  However, it definitely is an intense sound signature.

Hmm, I've heard Atticus is great at clarity.  Coming from HD800 I don't want it to be a jarring drop.

I really wish I could go try some on...

If you want something completely new, did you consider high end IEM's like Noble Audio's? In my short experience Balanced Armatures do good justice to electric guitars...

I don't want iems.  I have ie800s that I really like, I only really want over ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back