Advice on headphone amps and current setup
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SHFT

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am fairly new to the audiophile/headphone game so I came to ask some basic advice.

I currently use the Cambridge Adio Topaz AM10, which is an integrated amp where I plug in my turntable (no pre-amp) and headphones.
I noticed I use my headphones (HiFiMan - HE-300) more than my speakers so it might be interesting to invest in a dedicated headphone amp.

After reading a lot of reviews I grew quite fond of the Valhalla 2 but will this amp improve my listening experience or are there better options in that price range? Another thing which is unclear to me is how to connect my turntable to the headphone amp? Can I just plug the RCA cables into the headphone amp or do I need to buy some other gear to make it work?

If I am to vague or you need more details, shoot!

Kind regards,

SHFT

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Your Topaz AM10 has a line out (labeled "Rec Out"). Use that to connect to the external headphone amp. That way, the Topaz has all the inputs, and the turntable can use the phono preamp of the Topaz (the turntable MUST have a phono preamp).

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Allright, than will Valhalla be an improvement over the Topaz? And is it the 'right choice' for my HiFiMan?
smily_headphones1.gif

It should be an improvement but without knowing the real spec of the headphone output on the Topaz I can't guarantee it. I'd be amazed if it isn't a significant improvement though as headphone output on an integrated stereo amp is not generally a high priority for amp makers.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 8
It should be an improvement but without knowing the real spec of the headphone output on the Topaz I can't guarantee it. I'd be amazed if it isn't a significant improvement though as headphone output on an integrated stereo amp is not generally a high priority for amp makers.

I checked my manuals and Googled arround but I can't find anything on the headphone out, I suppose if it isn't worth mentioning it will not be particullary special.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 8
I checked my manuals and Googled arround but I can't find anything on the headphone out, I suppose if it isn't worth mentioning it will not be particullary special.

That would be my view.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 8
There's loads of amps out there but I have no experience of your headphones I'm afraid. Perhaps it might be best to ask in a thread specific to your headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back