Advice on Headphone amp/Dac Firestone,Hifiman, etc
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nightrhyme

Head-Fier
Hi dear Headfi experts.

I was originally just going to buy a new soundcard and was contemplating the Asus Xonar d2X as I also game a lot.

But I do listen to a lot of music by my pc. The whole dac + amp + different opamps is perhaps a little too much for me so I discovered that it was possible to get a DAC/AMP in-one box.

Only ones I could find was the: HiFiMAN
EF2A USB and the Firestone Fubar 4 which is perhaps a bit overkill for my use. But I'm looking to get the best sound out of my pc while still being able to hear game sounds. I however don't care about EAX and the sorts. Steroe will do.

For now I use Grado sr60 which I believed to be quite good until you guys turned me to a pair of Yuin Pk2's for my mp3 player. Now I find the Grados rather thin sounding but that's a whole different story.

Now my question is what would be the cheapest solution for me be in order to get decent sound out of my pc better than a Asus xonar d2x could produce at a similar price point. I'm thinking around 200 - 250$ As I previously stated amp + dac would probably be a little too much for me that is of course unless such a combo with better sound could be bought within the price range
smily_headphones1.gif

As I'm from Denmark please don't turn me to any exotic vendors.
Head-direct products as well as Firestone audio products are within reach.
Also read about the Zero Dac but it seems hard to obtain

Looking forward to some input

Thanx in advance

Kind Regards NR

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 3
After reading some it seems people are pretty happy with the Hifiman ef-2a. So I will probably get one of those.

However I'm still missing info on the gaming aspect. How will the ef2 react when a game is fired up in windows ?'

Edit just came across this: Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1 DAC
Anyone know it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back