Advice on getting new headphones
Oct 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

humanoid

New Head-Fier
I used to have the Pioneer HDJ-2000 for a really long time until it got stolen a week ago. Now I want to get another pair of headset but not the same as my old cans. I am no expert when it comes to specs and stuff but when i compared it to most headphones including the Beats, i really like the way the Pioneer HDJ-2000 sounded. I used these headphones mainly for listening to music on the go off my samsung galaxy s3. Didnt use any amp and such.
Any suggestions of what i can get that compares to Pioneer HDJ-2000 or better in terms of quality and price(willing to pay more if its worth it. Have a budget of around 400$).

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 8
Is there anything you value, like comfort/build quality/isolation/sound leakage or lack thereof? What kind of music do you listen to? Do you have any preferences in terms of sound signature?

Read this first: http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

$400 for a portable can is pretty high, well enough to cover most of the offerings, so I'm sure you'll be able to find something to your liking.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Sorry for the late reply.
The comfort/build quality/isolation/sound leakage are actually all that i look for in a good headset and really matter when it comes to quality listening. The music that i listen to covers a wide spectrum and covers anything from rock to hip hop and RnB.
In terms of sound signature, im not really sure what you mean.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.
The comfort/build quality/isolation/sound leakage are actually all that i look for in a good headset and really matter when it comes to quality listening. The music that i listen to covers a wide spectrum and covers anything from rock to hip hop and RnB.
In terms of sound signature, im not really sure what you mean.

Do you find on-ears comfortable? The HD25-1 have great isolation, comfort, build (industrial plastic, every part is user-replaceable), but comfort can be a dealbreaker for those who don't like supraurals (I happen to love them).

Sound signature = Lots of bass, bass neutral, slight emphasis; warm mids, neutral mids, recessed (don't know who'd purposely want this, but, there you go) mids; laid-back treble, sparkly treble....
Just basically your preferences in sound.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Do you find on-ears comfortable? The HD25-1 have great isolation, comfort, build (industrial plastic, every part is user-replaceable), but comfort can be a dealbreaker for those who don't like supraurals (I happen to love them).

Sound signature = Lots of bass, bass neutral, slight emphasis; warm mids, neutral mids, recessed (don't know who'd purposely want this, but, there you go) mids; laid-back treble, sparkly treble....
Just basically your preferences in sound.

I used to own the Soul SL 150 by Ludacris and they were an on-ear pair of headphones. They were pretty comfortable but then i tried out the Marley on-ear headphones and they hurt for extended periods of usage. I really prefer over-the-ear though am not too picky if the audio is good on an on-ear.
Thanks for clearing out what does sound signature mean. Alot of ppl kept asking what kind of sound signature i was looking for and i could not give them an answer.
I would say my preference in sound signature is something that has bass just above the neutral zone but not too much bass that it literally overpowers; warm mids; laid-back treble. Basically a good blend of all three with just a teeny increase in bass.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I used to own the Soul SL 150 by Ludacris and they were an on-ear pair of headphones. They were pretty comfortable but then i tried out the Marley on-ear headphones and they hurt for extended periods of usage. I really prefer over-the-ear though am not too picky if the audio is good on an on-ear.
Thanks for clearing out what does sound signature mean. Alot of ppl kept asking what kind of sound signature i was looking for and i could not give them an answer.
I would say my preference in sound signature is something that has bass just above the neutral zone but not too much bass that it literally overpowers; warm mids; laid-back treble. Basically a good blend of all three with just a teeny increase in bass.

Hmm, maybe try the V-Moda M80s if that's the sound sig you're looking for. One of the more comfortable on-ears, with fantastic build. They don't isolate too much (small vents near the back) but they don't audibly leak either. If you can really stretch to $400, take a gander at the M100 thread for reviews and impressions (relatively new product). Obviously I have no idea how they sound, but it's interesting to see nevertheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back