Advice on gaming headphones
Oct 24, 2006 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Madyak

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'd like some advice about choosing a new set of headphones.

First I'll tell a little about myself and what I need. I'll be using this new set of headphones primarily for gaming, with music on the side. Gaming is the important aspect. I most play FPS's competitively, so I highly prize being able to hear things like footsteps, grenades bouncing, things of that nature as clearly as possible. I need new headphones because I currently use Ultrasone HFI 550s, and they sound pretty muddy most of the time. I often have to stop and hope a sound repeats to try and figure out where it came from, and the directional sound isn't so great (compared to teammates' sound with Senn's 555s).

Current Setup: Creative X-Fi soundcard (cheapest one), Ultrasone 550s

Things I'm looking for:
- Clarity for gaming
- Whatever else would be good for gaming. I don't know the terminology, but bass is also very good here isn't it?
- CLOSED headphones
- Budget of $400 for headphones AND an amp. I'd like the headphones to be under $200 unless there's reason to change this idea.
- Noise cancellation. College is noisy.

So far, I've read really good things about Audio Technica's ATH 900s. They seem to have mostly what I'm looking for, but I don't understand how well their reviews will convert to gaming. So, onto my questions:

1) Ultrasone 550s vs Senn's 555s - I've often wondered how well the ultrasones compare. I almost never hear as clearly as my teammates do. I can hear what they hear, it's just not as clear as the direction or distance.
2) ATH 900s vs Senn's 555s - In the game I currently play, the headphones to have are the 555s. From what I've read, the 900s should be better. True?
3) Do I even need an amp? (Note: Spending up to $400 doesn't bother me.)
4) What should I look for gaming in headphone reviews?
5) Any idea about Equalizer settings on my sound card? In general what should be higher, what should be lower. (Again, gaming in mind)
6) ATH 900s quality for gaming in general. How well will they work out?

Some broad questions I know, and I apologize. However, I have no clue when it comes to headphones. The Ultrasones were a spur of the moment buy because I thought they'd be better than the 555s due to the price difference - I believe I was wrong. So I'd like to avoid that this go-around.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 54
I too am a competitive gamer, and I have just bought the Beyerdynamic DT770-80[ohm]'s. I'll be using an X-Fi XtremeMusic, and an amp to be determined (probably either a PA2v2 or an LDM+, I think I'll wait until the cans come in to decide).

A LOT of the responses are going to be towards either the A900's or the DT770's for your specified headphone pricerange. The general consensus seems to be A900's if you're not using an amp, and DT770's if you are. I'm not sure how your Ultrasone 550's stack up, the guys here would know way more than me :p But if you want to wait, I can let you know how the DT770's go (albeit a bit biased, since I won't have an amp for them yet).

You can get a pair of DT770-80's new for $160 shipped from "guitarinsider" on ebay, but I believe the A900's push $200. But then you run into the "amp required" discussion.

This reply is partially useless as-is; but you will be able to get more detailed and specific information from the more experienced members of this forum. This is just my preliminary 2c from a gamer to another gamer
smily_headphones1.gif
(not to mention your current cans look pretty good, I'm curious to see what the more experienced members think)

What game do you compete in btw?

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 54
I compete in America's Army. Also play some counterstrike 1.6/source, and various other fps's.

Another reason I'm getting rid of the 550s (besides the muddiness) is that I've been getting pops & crackles in them lately. Sound is glitching wierdly pretty often. Can't say I'm impressed.

What about it headphone vets? Should I consider the DT770s since I'm getting a (cheap) amp?

I'm partially bumping this to get in back on the first page lol.

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 54
I played ET competitively for a bit around the same time I got into hifi gear. I was using a set of Senn HD 580s with a headsave Classic, and later a Gilmore Lite. In general I can say that if you want to get an amp and a set of cans and spend $400, go for a set with a big sound stage (most Sennheiser cans, A900, etc.) and you are going to be set. I think the A900 are so acclaimed because they don't need an amp, and deliver great on the sound stage level. I would stay away from Grados, because although they are a lot of fun to play with (everything is incredibly vivid), the positioning is not as good as my 580s. I think that when I was researching this exact topic, the general consensus was that the absolute best set of cans for sound stage was the Sony CD3000s. I would kill to have a pair, but they have been discontinued and I refuse to spend $400 (please ignore the odd discrepancy of my values inherent in the fact that I would kill for them before spending $400) to grab a pair on the used market. Barring that, go with the A900s if you really don't care about music, or grab the Beyerdynamics or a good set of Senns (HD 580/600/595) and a nice $200 amp if you want a much better set for music. However, the $400 setup with the amp probably won't beet the $200 A900s in terms of positioning, just in the music realm.

Target

Oct 24, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 54
From what I have gathered over the past few days, most people think the A900's soundstage is slightly larger, but that the DT770's are slightly more accurate. If I were you, I'd wait until I got mine in (probably friday) and I'll tell you how they compare to my current cans (Sennheiser HD280s).

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmsbnd007
From what I have gathered over the past few days, most people think the A900's soundstage is slightly larger, but that the DT770's are slightly more accurate. If I were you, I'd wait until I got mine in (probably friday) and I'll tell you how they compare to my current cans (Sennheiser HD280s).

I tried a pair of DT770 and they had a bigger soundstage than my A900LTD.
My A900LTD sounds more compressed but better in other areas when playing music. But for gaming I think the DT770 would be the best bet.

For gaming you need:
Good positioning.
BASS (maybe)

And the DT has got plenty of both.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 54
I personally don't think that my A900LTDs are so UBER1337 for gaming, as everyone else says. I didn't try the DT770 in games, only music, so I could be wrong, but from my experience they would be better gaming cans.

Oct 24, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
I played ET competitively for a bit around the same time I got into hifi gear. I was using a set of Senn HD 580s with a headsave Classic, and later a Gilmore Lite. In general I can say that if you want to get an amp and a set of cans and spend $400, go for a set with a big sound stage (most Sennheiser cans, A900, etc.) and you are going to be set. I think the A900 are so acclaimed because they don't need an amp, and deliver great on the sound stage level. I would stay away from Grados, because although they are a lot of fun to play with (everything is incredibly vivid), the positioning is not as good as my 580s. I think that when I was researching this exact topic, the general consensus was that the absolute best set of cans for sound stage was the Sony CD3000s. I would kill to have a pair, but they have been discontinued and I refuse to spend $400 (please ignore the odd discrepancy of my values inherent in the fact that I would kill for them before spending $400) to grab a pair on the used market. Barring that, go with the A900s if you really don't care about music, or grab the Beyerdynamics or a good set of Senns (HD 580/600/595) and a nice $200 amp if you want a much better set for music. However, the $400 setup with the amp probably won't beet the $200 A900s in terms of positioning, just in the music realm.

Target

Actually the AKG1000 take the cake for best soundstage among dynamic headphones.. I would also suggest the 595, They reveal great deatil in gaming.. Hearing 'tangos' first steps within a minute before they walk into my line of site was sweet..Kinda felt like I was cheating..
eggosmile.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madyak
Another reason I'm getting rid of the 550s (besides the muddiness) is that I've been getting pops & crackles in them lately. Sound is glitching wierdly pretty often. Can't say I'm impressed.

This isn't a fault of the headphones and it's likely you'll have the same problem with new headphones too. Also, you're not going to find "noise canceling" headphones (implying active noise cancellation rather than just being closed headphones).

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
This isn't a fault of the headphones and it's likely you'll have the same problem with new headphones too.

What's the cause then?

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
Also, you're not going to find "noise canceling" headphones (implying active noise cancellation rather than just being closed headphones).

I think that a closed hp will suffice. When I listen to music in my AT's I can't hear what people are saying around me.

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 54
If you can swing $200 the A900s would be a good set of cans for your gaming and music listening needs. I own both the A900 and DT770/80. The A900s have a more up front sound than the warmer sounding DT770s. Bass out of the A900s is also a little tighter and faster than the DT770s. The bass on the DT770 goes deeper than the A900s. Both A900s and DT770s have a excellent soundstage. The A900s don't require an amp to sound good, but does sound a little better with one. The A900LTD (I also own a pair of them) has been discontinued and aren't that easy to find. If you do find a A900LTD in excellent condition, be willing to pay $300+ for them. The A900LTD as Alucard has mentioned are more refined for listening to music than gaming IMO.

Oct 24, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 54
Just got my new DT770/80's in yesterday. Using the X-Fi music w/o an amp i'm already pissing myself with joy over how great games sound compared to my old Sennheiser PC150 headset. In Day of Defeat: Source the guns sound like real guns, I can hear much more detailed sounds at a distance (like what type of gun is being fired and footsteps), which from a gaming perspective is quite an advantage. In Unreal Tournament 2004, a game I have been playing daily for almost two years, i'm discovering ambient sounds I never knew existed.

Now given this is video gaming not hi-fi, i'm an still very happy with the results! Plus they fit like a glove and seem to be of the highest quality construction. Music is great so far too, I listen to a lot of trance & psy and they really do justice in the low end department. There are a lot of more experienced and eloquent reviews on this site praising the 770/80's i'm sure.

Can't wait for my Little Dot 2 to get here, i'm sure after break-in and fine tuning i'll be even more happy. Thanks so much to the peeps who recommended these cans to me
orphsmile.gif

The only thing i'm going to complain about, and it's something where no fault lays, is that if you use ventrilo or teamspeak to communicate with a clan / team while gaming, it's really annoying to hear yourself when you have closed cans on. not much to do about except talk less
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back