Advice on designing/ordering prototype boards
Aug 14, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am thinking about designing a discrete component speaker amp along the lines of the P-3A and the dynahi, and would like to have printed boards made up for it. My question is twofold: First, what is a cheap (but reasonably good) place to get prototype runs of boards done, and second, what program should I use such that they will be readily able to take the file and make up the board?

I already know a bit of eaglecad, but a friend of mine uses the place that works directly with expresspcb and says they do cheap runs of small boards.

I am doing a tri-amping setup, so I am going to need at least 6 mono amp boards, if the number makes a difference. Boards should be fairly small, perhaps 3"x5" type size, or 3 big boards if 2 on one board works out cheaper...

Thanks!

'soda

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 4
ExpressPCB is reasonably cheap for small runs, but not good for larger runs. However, I really don't like being tied to their software and much prefer the flexibility of Eagle which will generate Gerbers files that any board house worth its salt will accept. I use EuroCurcuits for my production boards, and they provide top notch quality at reasonably cost.

www.custompcb.com is good for prototypes without any tight traces, like yours

Aug 14, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Any ballpark figure on what they cost? The site says they need your design files to give a quote...

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd plan on $20/bd minimum. When Drew and I were doing the Millett project we would order lots of 10 for prototyping from www.pcbnet.com - they're running a special on boards right now that might help you, $25/bd w/ no minimum for a 2 layer board which isn't bad at all. And you can get a pretty decent rough estimate by using their estimator if you know some approximate figures about your design. Also, check their prototype specials, looks like you can get 10 for $100 which is a great deal.

Anyway you slice it prototyping is not cheap.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back