Advice on DAC and AMP for college student
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cms5423

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm really close to making some big purchases and really would appreciate any and all advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Path:
Macbook-->DAC-->Amp-->Ultrasone HFI-780 Headphones
(or MB-->DAC/Amp combo-->HP)

So my options are:
1)gamma-1 lite DAC (it's gamma1, just USB only)+PIMETA (build it myself): I'll only get 16bit/48kHz since it's usb only. (probably around 150$ total)--also, I've never built anything before circuitry-wise, so PIMETA would be first project, although I here it's not too difficult, but I have no soldering experience, so is this doable? Or

2)Zero DAC/AMP combo: I'll get 24bit/192kHz capabilites. Seems really well regarded, plus upgradable, but no usb input--will the digital out from my macbook mini jack sound as good as a USB connection? (150$) Or

3) DAC/AMP combo such as iBasso D2 Boa($180), Hotaudio DAC Destroyer($80) or Hifidiy Mini USB DAC (link: USB DAC+Headphone Amplifier(PCM2707+DIR9001+PCM1793) - eBay (item 300297634142 end time Mar-31-09 21:02:24 PDT)

-->What do you think is the best option?
-->What will have the best audio quality to feed into a pair of headphones?
-->As it worth it to save the 80$ and get a DAC Destroyer for 80$?
(will the DAC destroyer even improve the audio anywhere even close to the other options?)

-->And lastly, is it important to get the 24/192 capabilities? As of now I only listen to audio from iTunes, rhapsody online radio, or pandora, all of which I think are 16/48... so do I even need the 24/192 ability? what else is in 24/192 other than DVD audio?

THANKS SOOO MUCH
smily_headphones1.gif
everyone
jecklinsmile.gif

Side note:
I'm a college student, so budget is pretty tight. Price is important: (Cost-to-performance ratio)

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 26
Out of all the options you've listed, I'd probably go for the Zero. If you've never built any electronic doohickey's before, it is a bit challenging. The Zero (from what I've read) is extremely upgrade-friendly, you can switch out caps and what-not to improve its performance. This would also get you started in the DIY field without building a huge project from scratch. Just my two cents.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 26
same boat, torn between ibasso D10 VS the ZERO DAC AMP plus a hot audio amp for protable use.

the 24/192 is pretty pointless unless your doing audio production. CD quality is 16/44.
a big increase in quality you will get for free by encoding your music in apple lossless (ALAC), FLAC or if hard drive space is too tight for a lossless library, 320kbps MP3/ogg vorbis etc.

you got a site for the gamma? i cant find them anywhere.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 26
I go to Penn State--University Park, but I live in the Wexford/Cranberry Township area, north of Pittsburgh on I-79. So pretty close
smily_headphones1.gif
Why do you ask?

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 26
And I understand the basis of file compression... thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

But any other opinions about the device options for DACs and Amps? Will the Zero DAC/Amp combo sound as good as the gamma1+PIMETA combo?
All opinions welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks guys

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 26
I've heard great things about the bithead, but I think I'm leaning heavily to those top 3 options I listed in the original post. Anyone else comment?

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 26
You can find more info about the y1 Gamma1 at AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site. Its available in a full configuration with USB, Coax, and Optical in or a lite configuration with just the inputs you need.

I just received one that I had built for me and it is quite a nice unit. I would place it above the Hotaudio DAC Supreme I have in sound quality, plus my version has optical input while the Hotaudio DAC only has USB input.

The Hotaudio DAC Supreme and Mark IV are buffered though, so you may find you don't need an amp right away.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 26
what improvements can i expect in iBasso D10 coming to D2 Boa?

i am looking for a DAC upgrade too..but smthg portable so can carry it in laptop bag to places.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 26
I would, but it's also more expensive
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 26
OK, don't Hijack my thread, haha. I'm not looking for a portable dac/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back