Advice on DAC/AMP + Headphones
Sep 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CptJeff

New Head-Fier
80% Single player immersive gaming (think Amnesia) 
20% music (mostly rock with a tad of rap/hiphop here and there)

I am looking into the following

ATH M50x
Beyerdynamic 770/880/990
Sennheiser 598
Phillips Fidelio X1 (preferably X2 if its scheduled soon)

Will take other advice but preferably $300 or less for the headphones

As far as the DAC/AMP, I was wondering if a Soundblaster Z would be fine. If the Magni/Modi is much better then I will just stick with that.

Please keep in mind I am pretty new into higher end audio so things you all may pick up, I probably wouldn't.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Virtual surround should be considered in your case I think.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 10
  Absolutely. Not into competitive anymore but I like being immersed more than anything. 

With taking that into account?

I find dolby headphones to be the most immersive out of those techs I have tried.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 10
I would need a soundcard for that which would mean not getting the modi correct?

What if I just used Razer surround or something similar?

Any recommendations for the headphones?

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 10
  I would need a soundcard for that which would mean not getting the modi correct?

Correct. I don't like razer surround personally. You could also use the sound card as DAC and amp depending on the card. I use the asus xonar u2 with optical output to my DAC, then to my amp.

I think the x1 could be nice for the headphone.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 10
  I would need a sound card for that which would mean not getting the Modi correct?

A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85, which comes with a mic.
and a Sennheiser HD558 headphones, new $111, used $85.
Would give you a fairly decent gaming setup.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 10

If you want to get the Schiit Modi/Magni, you could get the Modi with optical input and a Xonar DG or DGX. However, that's a lot to spend on electronics when you don't even have your first good pair of headphones yet.

Some of those headphones you have picked out have pretty heavy bass emphasis. Is that what you want?

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 10

A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card, $85, which comes with a mic.
and a Sennheiser HD558 headphones, new $111, used $85.
Would give you a fairly decent gaming setup.

Second this

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Not necessarily wanting bass heavy but I do want bass to be there and have punch. That's the main thing for immersion in games IMO. It doesn't have to cancel out everything else but I do want some punch.

I don't know if I am a fan of Senns tbh. I got recommended the 598s and wouldn't mind trying them but I read through Mad Lust Envys list and he has the same complaint I had with them. They tend to clamp. I had the PC 360s and they would bother me wearing them for too long while my A700 were golden. Lightweight and extremely comfortable.

I am heavily leaning towards the Fidelio X1 or the AKG 712 pro. I want something immersive for SP and pretty good for rock/occasional rap. I want to try open first as they feel more comfortable on my head.

I really don't mind ordering the schit stack, but that AND a soundcard just for the Dolby Headphone/SBX....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back