Advice on combined DAC-amp around $500
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pk4425

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a combined DAC/amp unit to replace a JDS Labs Atom+ stack. While I know the shortcomings of a combined unit, I like the idea of a combined unit to save space on my crowded desk. More simple setup, too.

My price range is around $500. My current over-ear headphones are the Audeze LCD-X 2021 and Sennheiser HD 6XX. Yes, I know the 6XX love tubes, but that's an upgrade for another time. My preferred musical genres are classic rock, alternative rock, hard rock, alt-country, hard bop jazz and progressive house/deep house EDM.

I've narrowed my choices to the JDS Element III (perhaps the Boosted version) or the Burson Playmate 2. I'm taking a quick glance at the Topping DX5, too, but I'm probably shying away from Topping due to quality control and preferring to do business with an American company from which I've had GREAT customer service (JDS) or an Australian company (Burson).

Which of the three choices above do you think will be the best match for my LCD-X 2021 and HD 6XX?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 8
If you do not care about having a fully balanced setup, then you can get a Topping A30 Pro and pair it with a SMSL DO100 DAC to power both your LCD-X and HD6xx with the same amount of power with 1/4”, xlr, and 4.4mm outputs:

https://headphones.com/products/topping-a30-pro-desktop-headphone-amplifier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255458726670

Also, with the eBay link, you can sign-in using your google e-mail and sell your Atom stack later. Use the advanced search and to look for sold auctions and see the latest prices, but also remember to check the “completed listings” box in your search as well.

Jan 1, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 8
I'd go with the Element III just for the better sleep you'll get with their epic tech support. Good resale value too, I don't see many of them on the used market which keeps prices up. I've been buying for years and never seen one listed broken, unlike the Drop THX 789 where there's 5 "for parts" of those on eBay at any given time. I just got a JDS Atom Amp+/DAC+ version and it sounds amazing. Buy with a credit card that doubles the warranty, and you'll really be set.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 8
SMSL DO400.

It's basically an updated version of my DO200mk2 + HO200 stack all in one chassis, at 2/3 the cost.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 8
In the same boat and leaning toward JDS Element III!
Definitely recommending the Element III. Picked up a B-stock unit this past Black Friday as an upgrade from my Atom+ stack and it is phenomenal. Really nice to use and sounds incredible. Also having just one box on the little side table in my focused listening area is a lot less fiddly than the two stacked components.

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Definitely recommending the Element III. Picked up a B-stock unit this past Black Friday as an upgrade from my Atom+ stack and it is phenomenal. Really nice to use and sounds incredible. Also having just one box on the little side table in my focused listening area is a lot less fiddly than the two stacked components.
Hoping they pair well with my Audeze LCD2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back