advice on buying portable cd player
Nov 20, 2001 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

New Head-Fier
hi guys
i don't know anythign about cd players so i'll need your help alot, thanks!
anyway, i'm looking for one w/o an amp and able to drive my hp550s
since i am not really an audiophile, sound quality doesn't need to be fantastic
the budget is about 100-150 us.
i'll be using them for mostly travel from school and home. maybe running if the budget allows it
also just wondering if the d-sj0I, d-ej1000, d-rj955 and d-ej855 r any good as they r on the sony year end promotion here in singapore (simple answers needed only, i don't want to waste your time)

really had to ask for your help as i know nothing and don't want to make a bad buy thanks!

Nov 21, 2001 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 25
hehe seems funny me replying so many times in my thread
smily_headphones1.gif

basically wat im looking for is a portable cd player that can play cdr/rw,has good music without an amp, and will not have much skipping. any other suggestions on other types of players like mp3 players r welcome as long as they fit within the 100-150 price tag.
thanks

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 25
yongenhui

The reason for not getting so much replies is that we have discussed this over and over again.
Search the forum for something like Panasonic CT470, CT570, CT780 or Sony D-EJ725
I don't know about the CD-RW compatibility of these machines but all of them will play CD-R fine. Also all of them have relatively good sound out of the headphone jack, perhaps Panasonic has the edge there.

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 25
I would have to really recommend against getting any of Sony's current players. They sound very bad compared to Panasonics...not good for much more than their looks. Also consider actually getting an older player vs. a newer player, especially if you want to just use the player with headphones and no amp. The older the player, the better the chance of it having a stronger amp. i.e. my 1995 Sony discman which sounds VERY good and MUCH better compared to anything made today has a 15mw internal amp...which is mostly why it's so good. Today's players all have a measly 5mw amp to save on battery life...which ultimately doesn't help sound quality. It doesn't help that Sony tweaked their DACs to something else entirely which sounds horrid. Back in the past the Mega Bass was actually usable and sounded nice and tight...nowdays the Groove Mega Bass just sound ridiculously bloated and boomy.

Forget Sony if you must get a current day CDP, go with Panasonic. On the other hand I'd go the other way if it were MD players we're talking about...

Nov 21, 2001 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 25
Vertigo_1, the original poster wants CD-RW compatibility; none of the older players can play CD-RW. Nor does the Panasonic CT470 or 570 - at least not reliably.

Nov 21, 2001 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 25
oh ok thanks for all your posts
cdr or rw wont really matter it justs depends on which type of cd i'll burn
i'll definitely take a look at these models
hopefully i'll get one by the new year
i'll keep ya updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
It doesn't help that Sony tweaked their DACs to something else entirely which sounds horrid. Back in the past the Mega Bass was actually usable and sounded nice and tight...nowdays the Groove Mega Bass just sound ridiculously bloated and boomy.

Forget Sony if you must get a current day CDP, go with Panasonic. On the other hand I'd go the other way if it were MD players we're talking about...

I don't thing the DACs have anything to do with the newer Sonys sound. Most of them sound excellent from the line out, so I guess it is mainly the headphone amp section that is below par. That said I have both old and new Sony PCDP and IMO apart from the maximum volume the sound of the new one (D-EJ725) isn't that bad. It is warmer with better midrange than the oldie, but lacks some treble sparkle.
yongenhui mentioned that he's gonna use it with HP550. These are well powered by the 5 mW (which by the way is rated conservatively). I guess it is all to personal taste. If you like warmer, non fatiguing sound, go with D-EJx25 series. For crispier, more upfront sound Panasonics may be the answer.

Nov 23, 2001 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 25
I own a 1996 Sony D-T405, along with a Panasonic SL-CT780, perfect combo~! Don't buy new sonys pcdps, they sound like crap through the headphone out, buy an old Sony, or a SL-CT780 or 580, or if you could find the D-T405 used or whatnot, it is a great cdplayer~! it plays some burned cds, but no cdrws. I have tried the new ones,
eek.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
They anger me~! but, the MD players sony makes are good~! What is up with that~?! I don't recommend many iriver products, maybe the 350 is better than the 100 but

Nov 23, 2001 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 25
a1leyez0nm3,

I used to own a Panasonic SL-CT580, and my advice is: Don't buy that model. The 40-second compressed anti-skip circuitry can't be turned off at all, and there is no line-out jack to connect to an external audio output device (the only audio output jack on that unit is the headphone-out jack). Furthermore, the volume control buttons are crappy and very hard to operate, and (worst of all) the lid hinge is FLIMSY (the lid broke where the hinge is screwed on after four months of ownership - and Panasonic's warranty doesn't cover it, and you'll have to pay almost as much as a new unit just to have that repaired).
frown.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Nov 23, 2001 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 25
My cover on the SL-CT780 sucks too, I took mine back, I thought I just had a bad model.... I didn't know that about the 580, mine has a digital line out, it switches off the shock protection when you plug something into the line out. Mine has a remote with control for everything on it. My remote broke, I thought I was just too hard on it... I am starting to think differently about Panasonic now...
frown.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Nov 23, 2001 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

I guess it is all to personal taste. If you like warmer, non fatiguing sound, go with D-EJx25 series. For crispier, more upfront sound Panasonics may be the answer.

This is why I dig the older Sony players with usable megabass more than Panasonics or anything else. They sounded brighter and more detailed and had a drier sound...Panasonics in comparison sound all warm but the highs are noticeably rolled off if you compare it to an old Sony, such as the D465. The bass boost Sony used in the past also boosted treble to compensate for the bass boost, so the end result is a very even, usable bass boost.

Given the two top sounding earphones, the MDR-E888 and MX-500 are both warm sounding, it makes more sense to go with a player that can provide more detail rather than more midrange. Koss's highly recommended headphones are also all warm sounding, makes sense once again to go with the more detailed player than a warmer one. For some reason I never did like the way Panasonics sounded, it was pretty much for this reason. Warm midrange + warm 'phones = mush.

Nov 23, 2001 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 25
Verigo,
It is true that the old megabass was much better than the new one. However, with good phones it is still not needed IMO.
It is also true that my D-EJ725 doesn't go very nice with 888, too warm, but EX70 are great. The bright treble and somewhat cold mids are nicely compensated by the players sound signature (warm detailed mids and rolled off treble). Don't have Grados anymore but assume they'll be nice combination too. This is to say that you can always find phones to match your equipment. Lets face it, the sound differences between PCDP are relatively minor compared to the diferences in phones that will be used with them.
As you know I have both nbew and old Sony players and some others and frankly the difference in sound is audiable but not that big. I can always select phones from my collection to account for the difference. On the other hand the newer players have some features that are nice IMO. For instance the 725 has been playing for more than 20 hours total on a single set of NiMH cells and the battery indicator is still full. At the same time the old D345 eats these for 7-8 hours. I can trade some minor loss of treble detail for the convinience to say go on holydays with a single set of batteries (no charger, external packs etc.)
Also, the 10 sec anti shock protection of the D345 is not good at all. Now, surrounded by all the ambient noise of downtown Stockholm, Imay not notice the difference in sound even with closed cans, but I do notice those nasty skips (happens fairly often even if you don't run or jump).
Finally, if I want to have better portable sound I always have the option of getting an amp, which I'll do soon.
So, my point is the newer technology is not so bad after all. I may be alone here, but if I was to get a player today I'll go with a new machine from Sony or Panasonic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back