Advice on building a computer as a source for a hifi
Sep 6, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 31
Sounds good, since I can't really afford the benchmark I think I will go with the emu 1212 for now, although with this setup I will still need a headphone amp, and If I went with the Benchmark it is my understanding that it takes care of the headphone amp portion with its nice built in amp... hummm, this is what I'm leaning towards, what do you think.

emu 1212 ($200) -> ?? not sure but possibly the XP-7 ($500) ?? -> a900 Cans ($200)

OR

AV710 ($25) -> benchmark ($950) -> a900 Cans ($200)

Oh the choices are killing me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Especially considering the A900 is not that amp-sensative, the latter would almost definitely sound better, since the DAC1 amp is no slouch. If you could afford $7-800 for the EMU and XP7, it would be worth it to save up a bit longer or buy used to get the DAC1 setup.

Then that is what I will do... even though I hate waiting, but I guess my 4G Ipod, CMOY and a900s / ety6's will hold me over until I can save up the dough.

One more kind of off topic question for you Iron_Dreamer, will playing my 200 Gig worth of 256kb MP3s through this DAC sound bad? I plan on converting a lot of my CDs to flac files, but I also plan on listening to alot of my MP3s as well.

Sep 6, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 31
So you guys really think that the EM-U 1212M alone is equal or superior to the sub $1000 CD players such as the Cambridge 640C, Rega Planet 2000, etc.?

Wow. If that's the case, I think I'll write off the standalone players. A PC-based source would be far more convenient for me anyway.

Assuming that's true, which setup would be better?

E-MU 1212M -> PPX3/MPX3 -> HD650 ($1050-$1350).

or

Chaintech AV-710 (as indicated above, the Chaintech should be roughly equal to the E-MU in a digital setup?) -> Benchmark DAC1 -> HD650 ($1375).

Sep 6, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 31
i will have the setup in my signature in 3 weeks or less

Sep 6, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by luminate
So you guys really think that the EM-U 1212M alone is equal or superior to the sub $1000 CD players such as the Cambridge 640C, Rega Planet 2000, etc.?

Wow. If that's the case, I think I'll write off the standalone players. A PC-based source would be far more convenient for me anyway.

Assuming that's true, which setup would be better?

E-MU 1212M -> PPX3/MPX3 -> HD650 ($1050-$1350).

or

Chaintech AV-710 (as indicated above, the Chaintech should be roughly equal to the E-MU in a digital setup?) -> Benchmark DAC1 -> HD650 ($1375).

the benchmark setup would be better. i have tried the emu and now own the benchmark and i don't think a good amp will bring the emu to the level of the benchmark.

Sep 7, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #23 of 31
Thank you very much Jasper994, I found your reply most helpful.

I think (due to the cost of good quality DACs) I shall opt for the 1212. With respect to ripping I shall take your advice of EAC, though I do not intend to then compress from wav (just buy huge hard drives!).

Sep 7, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by its_cheez
Thank you very much Jasper994, I found your reply most helpful.

I think (due to the cost of good quality DACs) I shall opt for the 1212. With respect to ripping I shall take your advice of EAC, though I do not intend to then compress from wav (just buy huge hard drives!).

You're very welcome. Welcome to Head-Fi! sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Regarding the huge hard drives, yes that works but compressing to flac or ape is lossless and space savings are between 1/3 and 1/2. I guess I don't see the reason not to compress, but whatever suits you best...
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 31
I can't say for sure if water cooling would allow for less interference with the sound card than fans would, after all a water pump can be noisey, but passive cooling should have a positive effect. The heatpipes most often found on small form factor PCs are a good example and I know Zalman makes a number of well regarded passive cooling components.

Maybe even build a nice EMI/RFI resistant metal shield around the sound card? I always though someone should try that, how about you!
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
One more kind of off topic question for you Iron_Dreamer, will playing my 200 Gig worth of 256kb MP3s through this DAC sound bad? I plan on converting a lot of my CDs to flac files, but I also plan on listening to alot of my MP3s as well.

It depends on the cans you use. The HD650's are quite forgiving of mp3's, the E5's aren't, they make them sound brutal at times.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I guess I don't see the reason not to compress, but whatever suits you best...
biggrin.gif

There are a number of possible reasons to want to stay with WAV files;

1. Greater compatiblity. WAV files are more compatible with a broader range of sound software. You could, of course, decode your FLAC files, but that takes time and effort.

2. Greater longevity. In the future, when FLAC file have been replaced by something else, WAV files are more likely to be able to be read and easily used, with a minimum of hassle, than FLAC files. You will want to make sure that you have FLAC source and can compile and use it on future systems, at a minimum.

3. Greater resistance to errors. Short or even single bit errors in highly compressed files may render large segments of the file to become unrecoverable. Error correcting codes can minimize this, but they require more space. I don't know how vulnerable FLAC is to errors, specifically.

FLAC may or may not be a good thing for your application. I just wanted to point out that there are some advantages to wav files.

-Z

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 31
Cheez;

Just bought a 0404 to replace an M-Audio AP2496 card in my media center PC. I am using analog out to my Adcom pre/amp and KEF speakers. I sampled all my CD's using Windows Media lossless and an A/B comparison of the 0404 versus my CD player direct into my Adcom pre shows no difference in quality. I am sold, but YMMV as maybe my ears aren't as good as yours!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #29 of 31
I already have a decent machine built P4 3 gig, 1 gig DDR 80 gig drives, but im running an older SBlive Xgamer sound card. Can i just get one of those higher end cards and plug my cans into the card or do i need some kind of converter?

Right now i have this X-bay thing that plugs into the front of the PC in the 3-1/4 bays and the cable run down threw the machine and plug into the back. The plug in the front is like an A/B switch the speakers plug into the port in the back and work unless i plug the cans into the front. They are all the 1/8" mini stereo.

The $99. and $200. cards have good phones output?

Sep 12, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
the benchmark setup would be better. i have tried the emu and now own the benchmark and i don't think a good amp will bring the emu to the level of the benchmark.

i went the EMU route and havnt really regreted... when i made my purchase decision, i wasnt aware of the benchmark dac. all i can say is i am happy with what i got now and i dont wanna find out what i am missing
tongue.gif

edit : to quote another head-fier, it seems every time we settle on some definitive card/mod something new comes along
redface.gif
chances are there could be a benchmark dac-1 killer sometime in the near future
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back