Advice on an IEM purchase
Jul 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MacGyver

Head-Fier
I've narrowed my next headphone decision to an IEM, and I have it down to the ER6i, IM716, and UM1.

I'd like help on making my final decision though, so I could use some information on: the isolation of these IEM's, sound quality (unamped), and overall sound quality. My sound preferences are: bass that's strong, but not overpowering, mids that are present, and clear highs. I guess a balanced IEM is what I'm looking for - something that could handle the whole musical spectrum fairly well.

As far as isolation goes, I'd like a good seal, but maybe not too strong, because I have to answer the phone for my part-time job.

If you can recommend other IEM's in the sub-$120 range that'd be cool too, and I'd try to enter that into my considerations as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 10
hmm... I don't think there would be such an IEM (I don't know about canalphones) that would allow you to hear what you need to hear around you. IEM's are just too isolating.

For balanced, non-overpowering bass, I'd recommend the iM716's.

Do you like sterile, analytical, perfectionist/purist, thin, non-rolled-off-trebles, upfront/in-your-face/front row, detailed, etc., sound? Get the iM716's.

IMO, the iM716's have plenty of bass.

About the IEM thing... then again you could hook up a mic to your comp, and use a sensitivity thing that would activate the mic whenever the phone rings or something or someone that needs to catch your attention is trying to catch your attention.

My friend found the iM716's for $40 in a car magazine... I'll try to find out more about it. Once he comes back online...

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 10
I recently tried my friend's IM716's and I don't think they have very good bass unless the switch in the volume pot is at Bass. And when it is, the bass sounds loose and muddy. It gets a little better amped - the sound is more whole as the mids and lows are filled in, but still not very tight compared to my E4's. vYu223 is right about the treble sound though, they are very aggressive and detailed, but it's a little too forward for my taste.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Although I've never actually listened to the E4's, I don't doubt that they would sound better than the iM716's. However, they are in a completely different price range...

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
I recently tried my friend's IM716's and I don't think they have very good bass unless the switch in the volume pot is at Bass. And when it is, the bass sounds loose and muddy. It gets a little better amped - the sound is more whole as the mids and lows are filled in, but still not very tight compared to my E4's. vYu223 is right about the treble sound though, they are very aggressive and detailed, but it's a little too forward for my taste.

guess the kind of amp play a important part too... my Crossroad, hp1 amp pair with my iM716 give me even tighter and punchy bass...

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
Although I've never actually listened to the E4's, I don't doubt that they would sound better than the iM716's. However, they are in a completely different price range...

if comparing the high and details, im716 will win. however E4 mid is what that most IEM cant acheive...

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver
I've narrowed my next headphone decision to an IEM, and I have it down to the ER6i, IM716, and UM1.

Good choices, I would read up aout the 716's build qualtiy, there seem to be issues. The ER-6i's are much more pleasant to wear with the shure tri-flanges with a longer stalk, (which are now $10/3 pairs, i think) the Ety 3-flanges hurt

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, the iM716's are just like other Ety's. Very analytical and quick. The UM1's are fuller, bassier, and a bit less detailed. I like the UM1's more, probably because I listen to rap.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Posting this at work, heh.

The UM1's seem to fit my taste a bit more, as I could sacrifice a bit of detail to achieve a fuller sound and extra bass. A question though, would the UM1's be more suited for slower stuff like ambient and jazz, or would any of the other candidates take priority here? If so, I think I'm sold on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back