Advice on amp for K701
Jan 6, 2007 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JT33

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I'm now stuck between the Gilmore Lite with DSP and the SP Extreme for my K701. I know the extreme will sound better, but it's twice as much! Is the price difference worth it?

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 18
Depends on the sound sig of the amp. From what I have read (I read A LOT about the GL, but in the end opted for a Hornet) about the GL, it compliments the K701, and in general the amp does not ADD any new sonic changes to the end result.

Some however, have noted that it too tends to be a bit bass-shy.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 18
keanej6 speaks the truth. You can't compare any solid-state amp to any tube amp for starters, no matter what their price points are.

It would be infinitely more helpful if you stated why you like your K701 first of all, and what kind of music you listen to, and what kind of sound you prefer.

That said, I've been recommending a tube amp for the K701 ever since I heard mine with first a DIY Millett Hybrid and then a Cayin HA-1A. The resulting sound coloration is generally more euphonic.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 18
Another possibilty worth investigating is the Mapltree Purist HD.
I had a loan of a pair of 701s for several days over the Christmas break and was very impressed with the synergy between them and the Mapletree.
So impressed in fact that my wallet will take another hit in a few months when I get my own pair..almost prefer them to the RS1s, never thought I'd say that.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, I've been recommending a tube amp for the K701 ever since I heard mine with first a DIY Millett Hybrid and then a Cayin HA-1A. The resulting sound coloration is generally more euphonic.

I second this. I find K701 to be very sweet sounding with tube amps - I tried them with Little Dot II+ and DIY tube amp (3x6922 tubes). Tube amps definitely bring up the best qualities of the K701.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 18
I came to about the same conclusion as tuatara when I heard my Dad's AKG on my Maple Tree Ear ++ HD amp. Orchestal music was superb with the AKG K701 due to excellent soundstage and dynamics. The Maple Tree drove them with aplomb. Some say the K701s are analytical but I can tell you they certainly are not with the Maple Tree amp. The combination provides deep musical involvement.

Blake

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another possibilty worth investigating is the Mapltree Purist HD.
I had a loan of a pair of 701s for several days over the Christmas break and was very impressed with the synergy between them and the Mapletree.
So impressed in fact that my wallet will take another hit in a few months when I get my own pair..almost prefer them to the RS1s, never thought I'd say that.

With a good SS amp only, I would probably end up selling my K701. This includes some hefty amps like Dynahi, balanced Headroom/balanced K701.

But with a good tube amp, K701 for me has been walking that fine line where resolution and musicality meet.

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by JT33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there, I'm now stuck between the Gilmore Lite with DSP and the SP Extreme for my K701. I know the extreme will sound better, but it's twice as much! Is the price difference worth it?

I have the higher priced GS-1 and the Extreme. I like the Extreme best .... the sound is just more real and involving. The Headamp GS-1 is a very fine amp but tube amps sound better with the 701 to me.

Jan 7, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks everyone! Since I do want to bring the best out of my K701s, I'm gonna order the Extreme tomorrow
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second this. I find K701 to be very sweet sounding with tube amps - I tried them with Little Dot II+ and DIY tube amp (3x6922 tubes). Tube amps definitely bring up the best qualities of the K701.

did you feel the little Dot II+ could handle the k701s?
If I guy a US version- would it work with 220V in europe? (I guess not)

thanks!, Nonno

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 18
You need to get a step down converter (220 to 110v), otherwise ask David of Little dot creator, he will guide you step by step how to convert the internal power, from 110 to 220, but you'll need to do some soldering work
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came to about the same conclusion as tuatara when I heard my Dad's AKG on my Maple Tree Ear ++ HD amp. Orchestal music was superb with the AKG K701 due to excellent soundstage and dynamics. The Maple Tree drove them with aplomb. Some say the K701s are analytical but I can tell you they certainly are not with the Maple Tree amp. The combination provides deep musical involvement.

Blake

wow - thats amazing, since some wrote the mapletree did not manage to warm up the K701. I have an excellent SS headamp that work well with my RS1 but is to uninvolving for me on my K701s. So I would highly appriciate help on which tube amp (no experience) to get. From all previouse threats I assume Cayin HA-1A would be the best choice - or Darkvoice 336i (which is more my budget!). But the mapletree ist on ebay - so that would be me question. thanks!

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 18
I have K701 headphones and although I need to crank the volume to nearly 3/4 on my ipod, i find that drives them well. Therefore I'm guessing you want the amp so you can set the volume on your player much lower to prevent any distortion caused at higher volumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back