advice on amp/dac for DT990's
Jun 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Linda de Snol

New Head-Fier
i can buy the Beyerdynamics DT990's for a low price, so now i'm searching for a good amp and dac to fit these headphones since i don't have an amp or a dac yet. The only soundsignature i know is that of the SE215's. I'd like the headphones to sound like them, but without the rolled of highs and with a punchier kick. will the 990's have this signature by default (and should i buy a neutral amp/dac) or will buying a "coloured" amp help them - and maybe my SE215's - sound better? i've looked at the shiit modi+magni and the Fiio E17/E07/? and heard that the shiit slightly boosts highs and the Fiio sounds warmer. does warmer mean less punchy, even sleepy? or does it mean a little more focus on the lower frequencies, and thus more punchy?
at the moment i'm leaning towards the Fiio since its portable (sort of) and because of the on board EQ, but i've heard the shiit sounds more detailed.
what are your thoughts? i'm really at a doubt atm.

- Pardon my english, i'm Dutch.

TL;DR: which amp/dac will fit DT990's better, the shiit modi+magni or a Fiio?

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 10
I don´t think shiit combo is necessary, if you don´t wanna waste a lot of money I wouldn´t go for it. I´m running my DT 990´s 250ohm on my Fiio E10 and it works just fine :)
There is tons of posts about amp/dac for DT 990´s .. maybe you should read those

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 10
TL;DR: which amp/dac will fit DT990's better, the shiit modi+magni or a Fiio?

Neither. The DT990 are capable of high-performance, but they're not easy to drive and demand quality downstream for the magic to happen. I'd suggest looking for a used Matrix M-Stage in the forum classifieds as the lowest cost option. Even with international shipping, it'll likely cost you less than the Schiit combo and sound a whole lot better. Too, as you're in Europe and if you are willing to add a little more funding to your budget, take a look at Meier Audio Jazz. Want something really, really good? Feliks Audio Elise, also European, if you like tubes. Good luck.

FWIW, I own DT990. You can see the gear I use in my profile.

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 10
  i can buy the Beyerdynamics DT990's for a low price, so now i'm searching for a good amp and DAC to fit these headphones since i don't have an amp or a dac yet. The only sound signature i know is that of the SE215's. I'd like the headphones to sound like them, but without the rolled of highs and with a punchier kick. will the 990's have this signature by default (and should i buy a neutral amp/dac) or will buying a "coloured" amp help them - and maybe my SE215's - sound better? I've looked at the Schiit Modi+Magni and the FiiO E17/E07/? and heard that the Schiit slightly boosts highs and the FiiO sounds warmer. does warmer mean less punchy, even sleepy? or does it mean a little more focus on the lower frequencies, and thus more punchy?
at the moment i'm leaning towards the FiiO since its portable (sort of) and because of the on board EQ, but I've heard the Schiit sounds more detailed.
what are your thoughts? I'm really at a doubt atm.

- Pardon my English, I'm Dutch.

TL;DR: which amp/dac will fit DT990's better, the Schiit Modi+Magni or a FiiO?

What sources will you be plugging the DAC/amp/headphones into?

You might consider getting the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X or Soundmagic HP200 headphone, both would not need much of an amplifier to drive them.
The AD900X can be ordered from Japan and the HP200 from Hong Kong.
The FiiO E10K of Schiit Fulla would easily drive them.

Dutch?
Does that mean you spend a lot of time "partying" in Amsterdam?

Jun 12, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 10
is it really that power hungry? i heard that the shiit stack packed some serious power. also, since meier is a german company, why is buying a meier amp more expensive in europe than outside of europe? i don't think i'm willing to pay that much for an amp though, since i'm still in school and only just recently getting in to the hifi-audio thing. a used m-stage isn't available in the Netherlands. 
i'm probably going to plug it in to my computer and phone, thats why i think a fiio is a good deal. though, does it sound sleepy? 

Dutch?
Does that mean you spend a lot of time "partying" in Amsterdam?

if with "partying" you mean smoking marijuana, nope. it really isnt like everybody in the Netherlands is high 24/7, i know very little people who have done weed, its really a tourist thing actually.

i will check some more 990 amp topics, but i kind of concluded these two where the better options.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 10
  if with "partying" you mean smoking marijuana, nope. it really isn't like everybody in the Netherlands is high 24/7, i know very little people who have done weed, its really a tourist thing actually.
i will check some more 990 amp topics, but i kind of concluded these two where the better options.

On Head-Fi, it's usually recommended to spend more for the headphones, then the DAC/amp.
Here in the USA the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm can sell new for as low as $165, where as the Schiit stack is $200-$300, + tax/shipping.
But if you like the DT990 sound, then I guess get them.
For me I prefer a more lighter and controlled bass, where as the DT990 bass is just loud, at least to me.

Is everyone in the Netherlands more in to being healthy and just let the tourist have their fun?

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 10
Look into the Objective 2 amp + ODAC. Could be someone in the Netherlands is selling it, which would make it cheaper than the Modi/Magni. For example, there is a vendor in the UK that sells it: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2di-desktop-headphone-amplifierdac-3/

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
I have plugged the dt990's into the Marantz HD-DAC1 (using its internal headphone amp) and I also tried using an external amp the Graham Slee Novo amp (connected to the HD-DAC1).  Both work well but the internal amp in the HD-DAC1 sounds a little under powered for the 990's.  However the Graham Slee Novo sounds great with 990s and the Novo is sold in the UK.  Also I am using the 600ohm version of the 990s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back