Advice on Alessandro MS1 / MS2 compared to AKG K 240 DF ??
Aug 27, 2004 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

leofahrer

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm really glad I found this great board... because I want to buy my first pair of headphones and don't want to get something I don't like to listen with...

I didn't get to hear a lot of headphones, but from what I've tried I don't like the subwoofer-like sound of the Philips HP 890 for example, which seems to lack precision when it comes to the bass. My father's AKG K 240 DF did get closest to the sound of my home equipment (Arcam AVR200 with B&W Preference 6 last series: not that much bass, but very tight and dynamic in my opinion, just a natural, clear, datailed and fascinating sound). Maybe you can give me advice on which headphones to choose - reading some really interesting posts here I got the idea that maybe the Alessandro MS1 could be the best choice, rather than the MS2 or any Grado... or is there any other good and affordable alternative?
I'm really thankful for every advice.

Leo

Aug 28, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 9
Sounds to me like you could enjoy the AKG K501 quite a bit...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks so far! I'll definitely try the 501s... just have to find a place (and some time) to do that...
How is the bass of the K240 compared to the MS1/2 and the K501? For my taste I'd like just a little more and deeper bass than the K240, but it has to be really accurate... It's too bad you can't try the Alessandros here in Germany, I really like the looks of the MS2 ... but you can't see them when you listen to the music, and that's what counts...

Greetings from Stuttgart
wink.gif

Leo

Aug 30, 2004 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by leofahrer
For my taste I'd like just a little more and deeper bass than the K240, but it has to be really accurate...

Would you? Fine.
wink.gif
Now I really think you'll like the K501...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Just remember, the 501 will require you to buy an amplifier to drive the headphone correctly - when I tried them out, I found this to be true as well. However, the other headphones at the store (Grado SR225) were fine without amplification. The Alessandros will be like that Grado - they all have 32Ohm Impedance, so they will be able to be driven without amplification and still sound great.

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 9
...well, that's not that unimportant... thanks Jahn! I've been thinking about that earlier but forgot about it. In the long run I'd connect the headphones to my AVR200 or even to a headphone-amp if I acquire a taste for listening with cans (which I can imagine I will..
280smile.gif
) - I guess that would be ok for the K501.

But for the next 6 months I'm 600 km away from my AVR200 and would have to connect the headphones to my notebook...

It's not the most important thing to fit the notebook as its sound is not that perfect anyway, but I don't want to be unhappy for the next six months...

Would that really be a problem with the K501 (it's impedance is at least much lower than the K240 DL's) or should I just forget about them??

Thanks!!!

Leo

...by the way: Jahn, I really like your avatar - looks great!!!

Aug 30, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Leo, I'd highly suggest not getting those 501s if you are plugging them directly into your laptop for the next six months. Something like the MS-1s should do you just fine for $99 shipped at www.alessandro-products.com for that purpose.
And thanks, The_Finder took the full sized pic of my avatar, I love these cans!

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, would plugging the 501s in my notebook just be disappointing when it comes to the sound or would there be "real problems" for the soundchip when having to drive the 501s??? I just don't want to buy something only for using with the notebook as I don't think I'll do that a lot after the next six months...

Today I managed to find a place to listen to AKGs and Grados, but unfortunately they only have the SR60 and the RS-1 and nothing between the two...
I didn't have the time to really try some headphones as I just came there a couple of minutes before they closed, but from what I've heard the 501s were quite nice (driven by a creek-phoneamp). Though I "just" heard some accoustic music they actually had in their player and - as I said before - only listend for a minute, I got the impression that the bass of the SR60 is not as I would like it to be... so I don't know if the MS1 would be the best choice?!??
But I definitely have to select some CDs and compare more intensely...

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back