Advice on a smallish full size amp for my ADs.
Jan 29, 2015 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MacroPower

New Head-Fier
I have the Alpha Dogs, and I was looking for something more portable than my Bifrost/Asgard stack. I just wanted to know your guys' opinions on OTL amps, similar to the xDuoo TA-03 DAC/Amp on Massdrop currently. Does anyone use something similar with their planars? Is there an all-in-one of a smaller size that would work well? I could probably spend $500 or so, but cheaper is better. Also not a big fan of tubes that distort the audio too much, the ADs are already pretty smooth.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 12
OTL amps are better suited for medium to high impedance headphones. Note how the output power rating for the xDuoo TA-03 is listed for 150 and 300 ohms, not 32 ohms.

Given that Sound and Vision found the Alpha Dogs to be 56 ohms with a fairly low sensitivity of 90db, probably best to go for a dac with a hybird solid state/tube amp or a solid state amp. I'd say go for solid state if you want maximum transportability.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Do you happen to know of anything good? I always just depended on Schiit, but their gear isn't the most portable - at least the higher-end stuff. Really, I would be okay with a DAC/Amp that was Bifrost-sized, I just don't want to have to carry two hunks of metal and interconnects when I take my audio gear other places.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 12
What about an O2/ODAC? The size is very transportable, even small enough to slip in a messenger bag with a laptop: http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 12
Ask JDS Labs if you decide to order. They'll know what the best gain option is for your headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Alrighty, will do. The custom order is really nice, haha. Glad they have an option for a larger jack, I'd hate to use adapters all the time.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the NFB-11, which is the same size as the NFB-15. I don't think it's smaller than the Asgard (you could check measurements). Does power my HE-400s easily.

That's good to know. I'd like to make some headroom in case I ever buy the LCDs or something like that. If it's around the Asgard's size, but is a DAC/Amp, that would probably be okay. I'll think about it anyway. Thanks so much for the help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back