Advice On A Possible DT770 Recable
Feb 24, 2006 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rhythmicmoose

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about recabling my DT770-80s, but have a lot of questions. Maybe you guys can help me out.

1. The primary purpose of this recable would be to shorten the cord to something more manageable for portable use. I know if I do it all myself, I can pick whatever length I want, but if I have someone else do it, will I be able to choose a shorter length?

2. It looks to me like most third party cables are pretty tough and not very flexible. Are there any that will be smaller or more flexible than the cable currently on them?

3. Will a recable affect sound quality significantly? I don't want the sound of these cans to change at all. Alright, maybe just a little, if there's a way to bring out a bit more midrange without affecting the highs or lows.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
I'm thinking about recabling my DT770-80s, but have a lot of questions. Maybe you guys can help me out.

1. The primary purpose of this recable would be to shorten the cord to something more manageable for portable use. I know if I do it all myself, I can pick whatever length I want, but if I have someone else do it, will I be able to choose a shorter length?

2. It looks to me like most third party cables are pretty tough and not very flexible. Are there any that will be smaller or more flexible than the cable currently on them?

3. Will a recable affect sound quality significantly? I don't want the sound of these cans to change at all. Alright, maybe just a little, if there's a way to bring out a bit more midrange without affecting the highs or lows.

Thanks in advance.

1. I got mine recabled from Larry @ www.headphile.com He has standard lengths of 1, 1.5, and 2 meters. I'm sure if you e-mail him and ask he'll do whatever length you want.

2. Since I got mine directly from Larry I don't have a real reference point other then my friend's dt770/250 with coiled cord but Larry's cable is really pretty darn flexible so I really wouldn't worry about it.

3. This last question is the most difficult to answer for another person. I think the recabling does make a difference and so does my friend. We agree that the recabled dt770 is airier and offers more clarity but he thinks there is a slight bass loss where as I disagree with him. Overall the sound signature remains the same and my friend and I both agree that there is an improvement. You might be interested in the thread where Skylab reviewed the new DT770 with his Darth Beyers. Not exactly the same comparison but I think it will help.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=33410

F.Y.I. Although his are woodied, according to Larry, most of the sonic changes are due to the recabling and not the wood but like everything else you can e-mail Larry and ask him if you choose to go with him. I think it is well worth it.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 3
If you don't want the sound to change, the obvious answer is just re-terminate them. It really is not that difficult.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back