Advice on a "friend"
Apr 26, 2007 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this sounds like a whiney post, but I'm at the end of my tether and am not sure how to handle this.
Backstory:
After being with a girl for a couple of months, we decided it wasn't working, and ended it. We got on so well, though, that we ended up being really close friends, probably my closest one.
Fast forward to a month ago, and she gets a new boyfriend. Now this guy has been at my school for years, and I've hung around with him, and generally been OK with him. But now, he starts being a complete ****.

It started with him stopping talking to me. I didn't think much of it, because we didn't really talk all that much in the first place, but anyway. Then he started to make things up about me, telling his girlfriend. They were petty things, but they were enough to get her annoyed at me.

Then he started spreading rumours about me. Things which were untrue, but ended up in large arguments with this girl, and other friends, because they believed him.
Now this past week, he has just started being a complete tool. He's been making jokes about me, making fun of me, and just generally being an ass. He's brought up things from my past which he (and everybody else) knows are very touchy subjects with me, and telling/reminding everybody that they happened.
This past week has been completely crap for me. All this mockery is happening in school, my girlfriend is pissed off at me because of his crap, and the first girl isn't talking to me now.
I can take a few jokes (hey, we're teenagers) but this is just getting ridiculous.

Thing is, I don't know what to do about it. I've thought about confronting him, but I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably lose control and hit him.

I apologise for sounding like I'm whining about college drama, but it's really making school a bad experience for me right now. I don't really have anybody to talk to that isn't involved in it or pissed off at me right now, so I thought I'd turn to you guys to see if you know what to do
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 63
If any friend of mine believed what some rear end in a top hat was gossiping about me, then they weren't really a friend. There were some like that in college, and it was true, they were no true friend. No one worth their salt will give a crap about that stuff. This is college, not high school. We don't do cliques and who gives a crap about rumors? If your "friends" do, then there's better friends to be found. May sound trite, but it's so true.

Secondly, it's obvious why he's doing it. What's sad to me is that the girl buys it. The problem is between you and her only. If she would let some guy ruin a friendship without first talking to you, then that's just sad.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 63
I say pop him one in the mouth and be done with it
wink.gif

I't just might do the trick.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, do it. That's what I would do.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 63
I have one or two people who I would class as true friends, and they didn't believe what he said, but I kinda think that they may pass it on if I talk to them about it. People tend to gossip around here (I can't wait to leave).

I can understand why he might feel threatened, but it's just stupid. I have a girlfriend, she has a boyfreind, but (shock horror) we're both friends.

Edit: Much as I'm tempted to pop him in the mouth, I don't really think that would solve things.
Edit2: I know it sounds like my friends are a bit crap, but tbh I'd rather have them than none at all.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 63
If no one out of your circle of friends has the cojones to stand up to this jerk and defend you, then I have to agree with plainsong, they're really not your true friends. Looks like it's time to branch out and hang out with some decent people who happen to share your interests...

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 63
snip his brake lines
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just confront him on it and if he ignores you or makes threats, just break his nose. I recommend headbutting him. Nothing says "I am serious, DON'T F@#K WITH ME" like smashing his nose with your forehead.

(no that is not a joke, headbut him. he will be less likley to turn around and kick you ass)

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 63
Asking him point blank, dude, look me in the eye and explain the need to gossip like a grandma at a quilting bee could be at least entertaining.

It's hard to look someone in the eye and rationally say "It's because I have a small weewee, and I don't want my gf to have any friends that are guys. I'm also really insecure, and I like the attention I get when telling these stories."

You'd think the girl would be all for you two working this out.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 63
If you can't convert your phony former friends, I don't think there's a point in trying. I'm kind of considered a "loner" at my school because I don't usually hangout with many people, but being a loner isn't all bad you know. More time to study, more money to self, more head room time, etc.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 63
She is just annoyed with it all, whenever I try to explain something he's said she just says "I'm fed up with you two going at each other all the time."

I'm going to confront him tomorrow.

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 63
Let him know that there's nothing romantic between you and his girl anymore, and ask him to stop this bull. You're both adults, if he doesn't comply with a civil conversation, whoop his ass. Kids in college can be as just as immature as high school ones.

(oh yeah, it's obvious he's incredibly jealous and sees you as a threat. Perhaps his current/your ex told him you were better in the sac or more adequately hung...)
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I'd say forget it. You can simply ignore that couple and save your energy for.... love making.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Strong men can fight... Stronger men can walk away from insults. All they want is to get you upset. You don't let them win.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 63
I was also a loner, but I had this core group of friends that I found were always there for me. I miss those guys like crazy.
frown.gif

Keep us posted on how it goes. Remembering my days as an insecure college girl, trying to visualize how I took gossipers. I think in those cases it's funny at first. Never held it against the target of the gossip. Gossip is just gossip. But if the BF kept up with it, it's a turn-off. I wonder why she puts up with it. Whether it's true or not isn't the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back