Advice needed
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

idkfa13

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am after some new over ear headphones and need some help. Currently have some Sennheiser HD595's which are getting a bit old and I have the upgrade itch. They will only be used connected to a PC using onboard sound. I heard these days the quality of sound from a PC is not too bad, is this the case? My budget is £300 max. I have done some research and these seem good:

Grado SR325e
Shure SRH1540

Any help welcome, thanks.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Hi @idkfa13,

Aside from SRH 1540, I suggest the following in no particular order :

Shure SRH 940
Sony MDR 1AM2
Sony 1000 XM2/3
Meze 99 Classics
Fostex TH 610

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the advise all. Sorry to be a pain but just realised my current headphones are open back and I'm reading online these generally offer better sound. Can anyone recommend some wired open back headphones for around £300?

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the advise all. Sorry to be a pain but just realised my current headphones are open back and I'm reading online these generally offer better sound. Can anyone recommend some wired open back headphones for around £300?

Hi @idkfa13,

No problem or trouble.
I would suggest before you go down a potential rabbit hole, demo first the Closed recommended as they are more suited to your sound preferences.
See what your reference material sounds like to you with Closed before you make a determination if Open suits you better.
Trust your own hearing & preferences, no one else's.

Honestly, I will say I am not a fan of Opens for various reasons but that is my personal preference though there are some Opens I do like to some degree but not necessarily own.
There are some I would consider owning even but honestly, they definitely are not in your price range.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi all,

I am after some new over ear headphones and need some help. Currently have some Sennheiser HD595's which are getting a bit old and I have the upgrade itch. They will only be used connected to a PC using onboard sound. I heard these days the quality of sound from a PC is not too bad, is this the case? My budget is £300 max. I have done some research and these seem good:

Grado SR325e
Shure SRH1540

Any help welcome, thanks.

Really depending on what source and amplification you get. I would rather recommend you start with a pair of HD600/650 or Hifiman HE400s, which are well-proven classies. But hey, you should get your source, if 300 pounds is your budget, spend 100 on a Schiit Fulla 2 or any good Chinese DAC/amp, and spend the rest on a HD600, how's that sound?

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Wondering if after comparing them you consider the Shure SRH1540 to be an upgrade over your current headphones.
How did it turn out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back