Advice needed: Which headamps have cross feed?
Oct 24, 2004 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
I have finally decided, after extended auditions, that I need a headphone amp that has cross feed, if possible, as a switchable option (ie, i can switch it off if I want)

I plan to use this either with the Sennheiser HD650 or by a new Stax Omega headphone.... I do plan either to use my Sony XA777es or my modded Pioneer DV563a as a source. I usually listen to Jazz, Vocals and instrumentals though I do like classic rock as well.

Any leads would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Amit

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 15
The only I know with crossfeed are the Corda amps, and the headroom amps, other thna those the PPA or any META you may find as a DIY project....electrostatic, nope that I know of any...in this case get the COrda Cross-1 that device goes in the input of any amp, and you could use it in any setup.....

I own one Corda Cross-1 and IMO it is a most for my setup, I even silver wired it and replaced the jacks (the original are really filmsy and the gold plated is not good at all) It is a nice unit as you cna use it with any amp, and match the impedances and is an standalone built unit....and it is fully bypassable also.

Oct 24, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 15
Two obvious choices are Headroom amps and Corda amps, such as Headroom Max and Corda Prehead/Prehead MKII.

Nice SACD player, by the way
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Stax phones don't take kindly to crossfeed. I experimented with an outboard crossfeed unit. It was highly satisfactory with dynamic headphones, but the Stax soundstage becomes constricted with crossfeed.

Which is exactly what I had been told, but I had to try it for myself.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Oct 25, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 15
Prehead MkII SE or Headroom Max get my vote.
I thought you were looking at Cary, Stealth or Singlepower?!(just kidding)
CPW

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 15
xin amps have "xinfeed" too, like the supermacro or the superdual.

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Prehead MkII SE or Headroom Max get my vote.
I thought you were looking at Cary, Stealth or Singlepower?!(just kidding)
CPW

Thanks! I am STILL looking at Cary and Singlepower as options... Stealth is out for me.
rolleyes.gif

PreHead.... must do homework on this one... any chance of my being invited to a 'meet' I am sure these are not open invites.... I promise to be good
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 15
It's been mentioned here at least once that Mikhail can add a crossfeed circuit to the Singlepower amps, so they should be on the list as well. And of course, crossfeed is an option for any PPA.

Oct 25, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
It's been mentioned here at least once that Mikhail can add a crossfeed circuit to the Singlepower amps, so they should be on the list as well. And of course, crossfeed is an option for any PPA.

Yeah, ive been talking to him via email about a possible MPX3 purchase and he said he could indeed put in a crossfeed circuit with a switch on the front for it.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm a little surprised how little discussion there is about cross feed. Cross feed is what enabled me to enjoy my headphones more the past six years. When I first got decent headphones, I still couldn't bear to listen to them for more than 40 minutes. I get pretty bad headphone fatigue, even at low volumes. Once I found out about cross feed, I hoped it might be the solution. I tried it out with the Practical Devices XM5, and it did indeed seem to help. There is no easily audible difference to me when I A/B with it on and off. But it did seem to enable me to listen for longer periods (2-4 hours). 

When I upgraded to a Meier Audio Corda Cantate.2 at home, it was even better. I'd like to upgrade and bring the Cantate.2 to work. I'm surprised after all this time that cross feed hasn't really taken off, and with HeadRoom discontinuing their higher end setups, it seems I'm limited to Meier's Classic/Daccord combo, which has supposedly updated/improved cross feed. It's more than twice what I really feel comfortable spending, but there don't seem to be any other affordable options.

The Grace Design M903 is a ridiculous $1,800, and the M902 is hard to find, but is sometimes available for $1,200, still not worth it as that version is likely even less up to date as the Cantate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back