Advice needed: what to get? audio-gd FUN or combo NFB-3/C-2.1
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hugol

New Head-Fier

Hi all,

I am just entering into the world of head-fi and after a few months of much time invested reading the forums, I have a very good idea of what I want, but I just need a last push of a knowledgeable head-fier to decide exactly what to buy. This is what I want to do: to play music from my iMac (late 2010) and my Denon M37 mini-system to listen with my Sennheiser HD-598. Besides, I want to be able to listen music from the computer through the mini-system, for which I need that what I buy works also as a pre-amp. I will be listening mainly to rock, jazz, pop and some classical.  

After reading the multiple threads about the quality and price of audio-gd products, I am almost convinced that my best option is the FUN model. Nevertheless, I am really tempted by the NFB-3/C-2.1 combo. I like the idea of having a dedicated DAC and a dedicated amp of such quality so I can build up my rig around them without having to upgrade them in the short/medium term. I do not plan to buy more desktop audio gear anytime soon, only a portable system (source and perhaps beyerdynamic dt 1350) so I don't think I will be replacing the equipment I get anytime soon. 

I asked King-wa and he reply by saying that besides having a better sound, the combo has even more flexibility than the FUN (e.g. neutrality, coloration) but that even if it costs the double, the sound won't be twice as good, maybe only a little better (this guy is great). So now I ask you all, do you think I should go straight for the FUN? or should I probably wait a little longer and save to go for the combo? I wonder if the difference is really really worth it as to put that much money in my first serious gear. Will it sound much better? 

I have read some threads that comment on the comparison of these two alternatives, but haven't found one that answers the question a little more in deep that just saying that the combo "will sound better". 

Hope you can help me to decide at once, I just want to make a decision! 

Thanks,

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 9
There is also the NFB-10-SE alternative offering balanced head amp out .

(i am currently Using NFB-2+C2.1 Combo) and very happy with it . 

NFB-3(or NFB-3.1)+C2.1 is a sure bet . 

Fun or NFB-5 can be a good entering too , like using it 6 month  ,one year and after upgrade to a better setup . 

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply Havoc, I'm not sure yet if I will use the balance headphone out in the near future, but who knows. Like you say, it seems that going for the NFB-2,NFB-3/C-2.1 is the best option (when not counting the budget). The rest of my gear would be below what this combo can offer, audio quality-wise, so I will probably not benefit much by getting it right away. But still...

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 9
For unbalanced operation yeah NFB-2/3/3.1 + C2.1 is the best , but NFB-10-SE is not very fare in unbalanced mode , but it have a balanced output , and in powerstrengh it's well ahead .

You can't be wrong in going for this two choices , if you are planing to later upgrade the rest of your gear.

If not FUN or NFB-5 are allready very good pieces and you can still upgrade your other gears .  

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 9
If you just entering head-fi world NFB-5 or NFB-10SE would be a better bet ihmo.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks guys. I never really looked much into the NFB-5. Now after a quick checked I just discovered that at least in principle it should outperformed the FUN (DAC section). I'm just a bit confused now with all the inputs/outputs in the back of both NFB-5 and NFB-10SE. I want to use the equipment as a sole amplifier too, with my cd player as a source connected with RCA, can I do that on these two? If I understand correctly, I can also use them as pre-amps, is that right? The FUN has so many inputs/outputs in the back, I find it easier to figure out what it can do

so, assuming that NFB-5 and the NFB-10SE can do the above, would you recommend the NFB-10SE on top of the NFB-5? I have not read yet much about the NFB-10SE, so I do not know exactly how those ~$200 more are reflected in performance. I also have to check the impressions about the digital volume, it's really not my thing but Kingwa should have had good reasons

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 9
You can connect your CD player to the optical or coax input on either unit. I have a CD player and TV connected to my NFB-10SE. I would go balanced with the 598- you can do the new XLR plug yourself pretty easily.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 9
the only thing between me and the NFB-10SE is its lack of analog inputs. I have this denon mini-system without digital outputs that I really like and I don't plan to change in the near future. Although I am just starting and I know that I should probably go for something more on the lower-end of the catalogue, I am feeling more convinced that NFB-3.1/C-2.1 is the only option that has everything I want. I think I wouldn't feel completely satisfied with a purchase otherwise. 

But then again, there is still the FUN. Not easy

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
the only thing between me and the NFB-10SE is its lack of analog inputs. I have this denon mini-system without digital outputs that I really like and I don't plan to change in the near future. Although I am just starting and I know that I should probably go for something more on the lower-end of the catalogue, I am feeling more convinced that NFB-3.1/C-2.1 is the only option that has everything I want. I think I wouldn't feel completely satisfied with a purchase otherwise. 

But then again, there is still the FUN. Not easy

if your source have no digital output and you not planning to upgrade/change in near future then a DAC would be useless imo. buying just amp will be enough then i.e. the C 2.1 .
unless you also planning to use other source such as computer/laptop the a NFB 3.1 and C 2.1 combo might be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back