Advice Needed: To Touch or not?
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

omph

Head-Fier
Just got a $340 giftcard for an iPhone for my birthday, but I don't want an iPhone. Luckily, I can apply the giftcard to any apple product.

I'm debating whether I should get the 2G Touch 32 GB or another Apple mp3 player. I have been reading the thread concerning the new Nano and Touch sound quality but I still can't decide.

I currently own a A829 and Atrio M5. I plan on stick with the m5 (I really can't afford spending more money on phones). I mainly if not only listen to trance and I usually have my clear bass up to 2-3 on my Sony.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Sound quality on the new Touch is good, but if you're looking for the same kind of bass as the Sony then you'll probably be fairly disappointed, assuming the A829 sounds anything like the new S series.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 19
The A829 is already a very good MP3 player, one of the best you can get. So I am not sure if any Apple MP3 player would be an upgrade to it, unless you are a big fan of touchscreen technology. Is the gift card only for Apple products?

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 19
I have an A829 and the Touch 32gb 2G - for games, apps, videos, occasional wi-fi web browsing the Touch is great. Compared to the A829 for music - the SQ just isn't there. It's good, clear, pretty much static free - it's just not @the same level as the Sony players - no iPod is. Do what I did, get the Touch for all the extras and enjoy. If you plan on amping it through an LOD, then it's the BEST for music. HP out - no!!!

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 19
well since you have most of the best sounding DAP's, how would you rank your gadgets in terms of just sound quality unamped?
smily_headphones1.gif
ipod touch 2g, d2, sony etc.

Im guessing its more of a A829> D2/Sansa Fuze> iPod touch 2g

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 19
For HP out, since my poor azz can't afford an amp + these toys, the Sony A829 is king of da' castle!!! Anyways, here's how I rank them:
1. sony A829
2. D2
3. Touch 2G
4. iPod Mini w/cf mod
5. Fuze
For some reason I really don't care for the SQ of the Fuze. And I really don't listen to the D2 all that much lately, just my A829 & Touch. & the Touch sounds pretty good w/no EQ engaged. It's just that the Sony is more warm and satisfying to listen to. My D2 seems to really sound "cold" compared to the others, great for hooking up to my car stereo, but my Sony does just as fine a job. If I had to have just 1 player though, I'd have to say I'd stay w/the Touch. The SQ is very good, and paired w/the right headphones or IEM's it'll stand it's ground. As a total package it's the best of breed!!!

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 19
Ah gift cards, the tactful way of saying you have no clue about someone interests while at the same time not actually letting them choose.

If you use the Sony with a fairly high bass setting, I don't think you'd be all too happy with an iPod, plus you already have a good DAP. IPhone I guess, or you could try pedalling the voucher off on eBay or to people you know.

Oct 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 19
scytheavatar: Yah it's an apple store gift card.

wynn: I'm not really into games (which the touch is rather good at).. rather read a book. Some of the apps seem cool... like the remote app.

Chinkydelight: hah love the name!

nywytboy68: Thanks for the direct comparison. It's too bad that the 2G isn't up too par in SQ unamped. But I'm glad to hear that the Sony is still considered one of the top still... but the lack of a few features makes it less than perfect (slight hiss, no audio bookmarking, no sleep, no on the fly play list creation, easy to unintentionally press a different button)

RedSky0: Iphone would mean having to pay my own phone bill since work pays for mines and they use vzw....

I guess I will need to figure out something (new macbooks are coming out but I just bought a t400..) even though I don't have many options. But all the advice has been very instrumental in helping me figure out what I need to do. I appreciate all the help, thanks guys!

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 19
I hate to say I returned my touch, only used it for the games & net. Got me a PSP and called it a day. It's a great device, but since I can't get past the very noticeable differences in SQ between my other players it really turned into an extra weight to carry all the time. Too bad, I really liked all the extras.

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if no noticeable SQ degradation, i will choose the reverse. sell other players and keep touch since it's has extra functions (though not useful)

Even with all the features and functions there WAS a noticeable difference in SQ - otherwise I'd have it still & my other players would be funding my search for a sweet case or lod>amp combo!
L3000.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by omph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony...no audio bookmarking

Damn, I always thought that'd get fixed in a firmware...ok, I dreamed. Does anyone know if the new models support that feature?

Also, considering your settings on the sony, you're going to find the new Touch a little less exciting. Like others, I tried the EQ and it still doesn't turn it into that warm, lovable, engaging Sony sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back