advice needed on semi-open / open back cans for medium quiet environment
Jan 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

schotter

New Head-Fier
Hi all, AKG K-701, Grado SR-225i, Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880...they all seem to be really good but different. I am just wondering which one would lend itself best for use in an (office) environment where I'd like to be responsive to my surroundings and at the same time not distract others too much with what's coming from my cans. Closed ones make me feel too 'detached'. I am not too concerned about other noises bleeding into my music as these are limited. I'd use them with a Nuforce Icon HDP from my Mac/Audirvana for 'morning inspiration' for limited times per day.
The half open Beyers seem to be providing a middle ground between open and closed.

How about the other mentioned? Any ideas about different degrees of isolation? Are they noisy to the outside world?

The other thing -of course- is sound signature: I heard the BD 990s once and found them very analytic. Impressively resolving but it all sounded a little too 'tame' and the instruments sounded a bit like 'suspended in mid-air' to me. Mind me, this is just an impression after a 5 minute session in a shop...
My musical preferences are: Acoustic guitar, classic and folk, voices, small chamber classic and some electronic. Involving and intimate midrange most important. Bass needs to be noticeable but tight and not more than what's needed to 'carry' the tune. Not a fan of warm/euphonic either. I take 'exciting' over 'real' but shrill highs are a dealbreaker. Basically, I feel like the 'on stage' feel of the Grados could be it but wonder which amount of isolation they offer or if they are effectively 'all open'.

How do the others fit the bill? Any further recommendations?
Thanks!! kai

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 3
While I can't really speak about the others, I don't think the Grados are conducive to quiet environments.  They leak in too much ( for me at least) and leak out way too much.  One post that I read (don't remember where) described them as mini speakers, and I agree with that description.  From the sound that you want though, the Grados sound like a pretty good fit (again I haven't heard the others though).    

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 3
just googled a little and found out that the Grados' isolation is amongst the weakest. Bummer. The BD 880 look a little better on Headroom and Senn 600/650 even more. Not sure if this is enough to justify getting something that sounds less to my liking (or if I should go 'badly isolated/vented' design like the Denon AH-D2000s...). 
Anyhow, someone I work with sits 6ft opposite of me and that seems quite close for the Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back