Advice needed on replacement headphone purchase
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chrispyduck1

New Head-Fier
Hi im new here so be gentle :o2smile: I currently use hd600's and Grado 325e's, curiosiTy is now getting the better of me and I am wondering if its possible to get a headphone which will give me best of both worlds with these headphones? Today I will be demo'ing Grado rs2e's but I feel this wont be the answer.
Failing this I could stick with what I have and upgrade my Graham Slee headphone amp. Thanks in advance.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Chrispyduck,

They're such different headphones, it's difficult to find something that'll give you the best of both. I guess the point they have in common is how detailed both headphones are. If you like the Grado's "in-your-face" presentation but want something that can accommodate more genres, I'd strongly recommend the Focal Elear. The only genre I find they can't do very well (in my own very personal opinion) is electronic music (bass extension was lacking, compared the LCD-2)

Maybe the Mr Speakers' Aeon could be a good option as well, but I haven't heard them.

Either way you can't go wrong (from what I read and heard about the Aeon).

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi Carcajou thanks for your reply, I heard the rs2's the other day and really wasnt impressed especially considering the extra outlay over the325's. Ive heard the Elears and loved them but are unfortunately financially out of reach. The others youve mentioned I will research as I know little about them, so you have given me food for thought. For the meantime I think I shall stick with what I have.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 7
I hear a lot of rumors about a price decrease on the Elear in the near future... But yeah, the HD600 is such a great piece of equipment that there are very few options under the $1000 price point that are worth it (the exception being maybe the Aeon, but again I haven't had the chance to hear them).

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi im new here so be gentle :o2smile: I currently use hd600's and Grado 325e's, curiosiTy is now getting the better of me and I am wondering if its possible to get a headphone which will give me best of both worlds with these headphones? Today I will be demo'ing Grado rs2e's but I feel this wont be the answer.
Failing this I could stick with what I have and upgrade my Graham Slee headphone amp. Thanks in advance.
Maybe replace your Senn HD600 with the new Senn HD660?

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 7
Try and get a chance to demo the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, I think it might suit your needs.

The Amiron Home is excellent too but a bit more laid back in comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back