Advice needed: On-ear headphones under $100
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

WalkinRavage

New Head-Fier
Hello!

After a few headphone related problems I suffered recently (lost my wonderful Denon AH-C120's - great IEM's for $80, if you need some) I decided to rebuild my headphone roster - I decided to buy two pairs of new headphones.
The first one was an IEM - Shure SE215's. I want to the second one to be on-ear's. I wouldn't be asking this question, if both headphones I absolutely loved - Senn PX100-II (super sound, but flimsy) and Shure SRH144's (great sounding, open and airy sound; nearly undestructible, until the headband gave away) were not discontinued. So, I have to search for some new ones.

Those are my details:
Source - Huawei P8 lite/P9 lite
Amp - None
Music - various, from classic and prog rock, through metal, oldschool electronic music, and soundracks
Other: need to be relatively sturdy

What sound signature I want: Clear sound with good separation, as balanced as possible.
V-shaped signature also will do, but still clear and well seperated.

I was considering several headphones - Sennheiser HD 2.10/2.20's (not much info about those on the net, even on Head-Fi), Beyerdynamic DTX350m, Koss Porta-pro's... but I am still not sure. Any suggesstions?

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 14
On ear eh? Thinksound on2 is on Amazon for 139. I'm not sure you will find a better on ear option - period. I also really like my Sennheiser HD 25. It can be an acquired taste, but I haven't heard any other on ears that do rock quite like these bad boys. You can also take a look at the AKG Y50.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 14
On ear eh? Thinksound on2 is on Amazon for 139. I'm not sure you will find a better on ear option - period. I also really like my Sennheiser HD 25. It can be an acquired taste, but I haven't heard any other on ears that do rock quite like these bad boys. You can also take a look at the AKG Y50.

A bit too expensive. >$100. Also - I would prefer an open-back.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 14
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is some stuff from Grado, AKG and Sennheiser. Have you looked at their line ups? I'm not sure you will find the clear sound with good separation you're looking for in an on ear, open back under a hundred bucks.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Shame that you are looking for open back, on-ear. First off I don't really think there are many choices in that price range (or any price range). There must be some examples, but they are eluding me right now. If you are at all open to the idea of a closed back, the Fidelio M1 MKII is a fantastic headphone with a really well tuned signature. I didn't even want a wired portable as I like Bluetooth very much, but pretty much because the M1 MKII was so inexpensive and well reviewed I thought I would give it a try. Absolutely love them and I think the signature would work for many people as it doesn't stray too far from neutral, still coloured enough to be contemporary and engaging and just down right a solid sounding headphone. I had no expectation that I would like it that much so if you are willing to try a closed back try the M1 MKII from Amazon as the return policy is great, that way if what I like just doesn't work for you, the only thing you have lost is a little time.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 14
@lenroot Yes - ON-ears, like Koss Porta-pro's or sadly missed Sennheiser PX-series.

But I am reconsidering buying an OVER-ear, open-back headphones to the same standards, like AKG K240's. Any cool suggestions under $100, that will acceptably work with my smartphone?

@Sonic Defender I like open-back, because I like my sound to be quite airy, which I am not sure I can get from a closed-back. Besides, I want to be aware of my surroundings when I use my phones - If I want to separate myself, I've got my IEM's.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #11 of 14
My bad I missed the open back, the CAL is closed.

You might look into Sennheiser hd500 series headphones if you chose over ear open back in this price range. Also keep an eye on the classifieds as hd598/599’s always sell cheap. They are good sounding headphones out of a smart phone as well.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 14
@lenroot Yes - ON-ears, like Koss Porta-pro's or sadly missed Sennheiser PX-series.

But I am reconsidering buying an OVER-ear, open-back headphones to the same standards, like AKG K240's. Any cool suggestions under $100, that will acceptably work with my smartphone?

@Sonic Defender I like open-back, because I like my sound to be quite airy, which I am not sure I can get from a closed-back. Besides, I want to be aware of my surroundings when I use my phones - If I want to separate myself, I've got my IEM's.
No worries, yes typically (but not always) open back designs have more airiness. I think I was also reading into things a little and assuming that this was intended for portable use, meaning around other people, in which case open back is not at all the way to go, unless you like annoying people. Seeing as how you obviously know what you like, I take it these are for private settings where other people don't have to be a factor. I'm sure that you will get some great suggestions, good luck finding your headphone.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 14
AKG K240 MKII or ATH-AD700X? I think you should look at the AKG and Audio-Technica lines. Their headphones are known for being airy and having good soundstage.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 14
@PointyFox ATH-AD700X are a bit too expensive ($200+, unless retailers in Europe want to screw me off. Is there a way to get them cheaper, from Japan for example?). Do you have experience with some of the less expensive stuff like AD500x's or AVA400's?
Also, do you think I can run each of them (K240's or AD700's) with a smartphone, if I crank the preamp EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back