Advice needed on Closed Headphones in the $300 neighborhood
May 24, 2015 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

moodyda

New Head-Fier
I posted this earlier on another forum that didn't get much action.  I have been researching the internet and demoing different types of closed headphones and would like to hear from anyone who has experience with any of these types of headphones.  I will primarily use these at home as well as when traveling.  I am looking for closed because I already own a set of Grado 325is, Sennheiser HD 590, Shure Se 535(iem), and various bluetooth models.  I will mostly power these using a Fiio X3ii as well as my smartphone, so I want them to be fairly efficient.

I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-m50x and quickly returned them upon purchasing a set of Sony mdr-1a's. I demoed the Sony's at a local store (mdr-1a and mdr-1r) and easily chose the 1a.  I do like the somewhat colored sound of the Sony mdr-1a and even prefer these over anything that I currently own.  I like the fact that they are not fatiguing and provide a nice bass punch.  They do have nice highs as well as a nice open soundstage.  I also really like the fit and feel of the Sony's.

While it may seem that I have found the perfect set I cannot help but wonder if there may be something else out there that can outperform these with the sound signature I am interested.  Most Audiophile types would prefer a more analytical neutral type of sound and I believe that's where all the highest rated phones are based on.

Other closed units that interest me are as follows;
Denon AH-D600 
NAD Viso HP50
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Beyer Dynamic T51i
Oppo Pm-3
PSB M4u
V-moda crossfade m-100
Audio Technica ATHmrs7

Anyone who has experience with these and who may have also heard the Sony's would of the greatest assistance, but of course all opinions would be appreciated.  

May 25, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 2
  I posted this earlier on another forum that didn't get much action.  I have been researching the internet and demoing different types of closed headphones and would like to hear from anyone who has experience with any of these types of headphones.  I will primarily use these at home as well as when traveling.  I am looking for closed because I already own a set of Grado 325is, Sennheiser HD 590, Shure Se 535(iem), and various bluetooth models.  I will mostly power these using a Fiio X3ii as well as my smartphone, so I want them to be fairly efficient.

I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-m50x and quickly returned them upon purchasing a set of Sony mdr-1a's. I demoed the Sony's at a local store (mdr-1a and mdr-1r) and easily chose the 1a.  I do like the somewhat colored sound of the Sony mdr-1a and even prefer these over anything that I currently own.  I like the fact that they are not fatiguing and provide a nice bass punch.  They do have nice highs as well as a nice open soundstage.  I also really like the fit and feel of the Sony's.

While it may seem that I have found the perfect set I cannot help but wonder if there may be something else out there that can outperform these with the sound signature I am interested.  Most Audiophile types would prefer a more analytical neutral type of sound and I believe that's where all the highest rated phones are based on.

Other closed units that interest me are as follows;
Denon AH-D600 
NAD Viso HP50
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Beyer Dynamic T51i
Oppo Pm-3
PSB M4u
V-moda crossfade m-100
Audio Technica ATHmrs7

Anyone who has experience with these and who may have also heard the Sony's would of the greatest assistance, but of course all opinions would be appreciated.  

Looks like some very good choices; I've heard most but not all of them...
Have you had a look at this thread?: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

there's plenty of info there, at least to start
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back