Advice needed on buying used XLR cables.
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vrockz

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

I am looking to upgrade my XLR cables and zeroed in on two models, Audioquest Fire XLR’s and Audioquest Pegasus XLR’s.

I found used Audioquest Fire XLR’s from two buyers close to my budget, but both are around 4 years old though the sellers listed them as in very good condition and well maintained.

I also found Audioquest Pegasus XLR’s that are in like new condition close to my budget.

I would prefer the Fire XLR’s, but I am concerned about their age. Since the cables are around 4 years old should I stay away from them and go with Pegasus XLR’s that are in like new condition?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Generally, well-made XLR cables can last for many years (+10) if they're treated properly. Ask the sellers for more details about how the cables were used and stored. If a cable is used frequently, it might experience more wear and strain. Cables used in professional settings might wear out faster compared to those used in a home setup for example. If the cables are exposed to extreme temperatures or humidity, they can be affected. Lastly, the connectors on the ends of the cable are critical. Inspect the connectors to make sure there is no oxidation or damage that could affect the cable's performance.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Your advice is really helpful. Thanks Ajozi.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Just clean with 91 percent alcohol and your set. They don't sound different if they aren't defective. I've bought and sold audio gear for years, and gotten all the different brands bundled with buying stuff. Done blind tests over and over and could never guess right more than half the time.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Alcohol may not be the best choice anymore. There's a lot of discussion about its polar nature in other sub-cultures. The polar nature of alcohol promotes micro-arcing between electrical contacts. This leads to a heavier and quicker build-up of dirt and corrosion compared to something like mineral spirits, which is much less of a polar solvent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back