Advice needed! New headphone amp / DAC for NAD Viso HP50
May 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RiddleyWalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new here, just wanted to get some advice on my next purchase.  I'm just now getting into headphone hi-fi (mid-fi?) and trying to build a decent setup.

I recently bought a pair of NAD Viso HP50 headphones (http://nadelectronics.com/products/headphones/VISO-HP50-Over-Ear-Headphones) and I'm very happy with them.  However, I'm currently just using the soundcard on my computer, which is obviously lacking.  The next thing I want to get is a good headphone amp / DAC (either separate units or both as one unit).

Here's a bit of background info:

- My budget is < $300, but I'm primarily looking at price-to-performance
- My primary source is my computer (FLAC files and .wav mostly, some 320kbps mp3s)
- Portability isn't important as I am using it with my desktop.  However, I am not opposed to using a portable unit if the price-to-performance is right
- The headphones I mentioned above are low impedance (32 ohm) so the amp should either not be terribly powerful or have the option of low-gain steps
- I listen primarily to electronic music, experimental, jazz, progressive rock

I know this is a ton of info but I'm really hoping somebody can make a solid recommendation!

Some that I'm considering:

- Schiit Magni/Modi
- Dragonfly 1.2
- JDS Labs O2+ODAC
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1
- Audioengine D1

Thanks in advance!

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello RiddleyWalker,

I have been doing some research on this very topic. What I have found is the HP50 does not need an AMP/DAC to drive it due to it super low impedance.
If you wanted to AMP/DAC it, then a Schiit Magni/Modi or O2+ODAC are good solid options.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 4
What about modi/vali? Is there any limitation in the use of tubes with low impedance headphones?

I wish I could find closed back high impedance options other than discontinued products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back