Advice needed: Mac headset
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kel101

New Head-Fier
Long time user of these forums, finally needed to ask something, hope you guys can help.

Essentially I am looking to replace my old logitech h530 which I use with my iMac, often for skype or when I am watching movies at night etc.  I really like that they are usb as it lets me have music on my speakers whilst using them for skype calls.  I am looking for an upgrade in headset and have been looking at gaming headsets, however I have struggled to find any that are usb and work properly with macs (usually the surround sound).  Another option I have contemplated is getting a headset that has optical in and buy a FiiO e17 so they still connect via USB (though I am sure someone will point out a much cheaper device that does the same thing).

My budget would be around £200ish, but most of the USB headsets I have seen are under £150, though some of the obvious choices like the Logitech G35 have complaints about sound quality, and others like the sennheiser 330D have complaints about death gripping your head and not being comfortable.  Ideally I would like a balance of the two but I understand for my budget I wont get something super high end as far as sound quality.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Get some nice quality stereo headphones and an add-on mic.
Plug them straight into the Mac.A

Audio Technica ATH-A900 headphones, easy to drive.
mic?

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Get some nice quality stereo headphones and an add-on mic.
Plug them straight into the Mac.A

Audio Technica ATH-A900 headphones, easy to drive.
mic?

tbh getting two seprate devices is not ideal, though I do like Audio technica products, its a shame they do not make headsets.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

tbh getting two seprate devices is not ideal, though I do like Audio technica products, its a shame they do not make headsets.

Sennheiser PC360

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Sennheiser PC360

Yep have seen those and they look good though they do not connect via usb (though I could get an adapter or use the fiio)
Do you have any experience with the 333d, as they connect via usb and have 7.1, I cant find if they work well on macs though.

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Yep have seen those and they look good though they do not connect via usb (though I could get an adapter or use the fiio)
Do you have any experience with the 333d, as they connect via usb and have 7.1, I cant find if they work well on macs though.

I'm would think the gaming market (hardware wise) on Mac's is limited, I'm guessing most "hardcore gaming types" are on PC's.
Might be better to find a Mac forum and ask about gaming stuff there.

If you could add Dolby Headphone surround sound software  for Macs, you could use the Mac's headphone jack (and mic).
I'm just not informed about USB headsets.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 8
It's very significant to gain it. because i need stearo headphone.i thinks price should be small low. i think i can be capable to [size=10pt]negotiable [/size]to get this device.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I'm would think the gaming market (hardware wise) on Mac's is limited, I'm guessing most "hardcore gaming types" are on PC's.
Might be better to find a Mac forum and ask about gaming stuff there.

If you could add Dolby Headphone surround sound software  for Macs, you could use the Mac's headphone jack (and mic).
I'm just not informed about USB headsets.

There is no dolby software for macs unfortunately from what I can tell only movies will get surround sound which is fine by me.  I think depending on replies I get from the companies I have emailed, I will either go for the Sharkoon xtactic digital, or the Sennheiser 333d or 360.  I need to find a good cheap 3.5mm mic and headphone to usb adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back