Advice needed, is this a decent portable setup
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, Ive pretty much sorted out my bedroom/entertainment setup. I now want to figure out my portable setup.
Ive been reading various review, and put together a portable setup. I also will need a desktop rig at some point, If I can use a portable as my desktop rig, that would kill two birds in one stone, but I guess I will probably be sacrificing to do this.

I would like to hear some thoughts on the below, if there is perhaps some better alternatives. Note - I dont own any of this so it will be an expensive investment.

DAP - Ipod Classic
Portable Dac/Amp - Cypher Labs Theorem 720
IEM - EarSonics SM64
I will probably upgrade to a silver Toxic-Cable at some point.
Shure yellow foam tips

I do have a Galaxy S4, however it lives in my pocket 24/7 (dont want to add a amp/dac into my pocket) and would rather a separate source for music (it will live in my bag).
All my music is Flac, however I dont mind converting to Alac. Ive used itunes in the past, but at the moment I am trying out Jriver.

In terms of the amp/dac. I would essentially like something that will double up as a deskop dac/amp aswell, however I am unsure if the Theorem 720 will sound any good with the LCD-X, which would be my main home headphone.
If I went for desktop, its either a Burson Conductor, or WA7 fireflies.

On the IEM side, im still not sure, ive heard great reviews on the SM64, still not overly sure.
I dont want to venture into CIEMs just yet. If I do, I will contact the wizzard :D
I mainly listen to more agressive style of music, punk, tech-punk, hardcore, very fast, very aggressive.
I also listen to a lot of instrumental progressive sound scape music, which inst as aggressive as the above. Mostly features a wide range of instruments.
I also own sennheiser momentums, which I will also use with this.

If I didnt get a portable amp/dac, is there a better Dap, that would sound fantastic with the SM64 and Momentums?
Perhaps Sonys latest walkman?

Would love some insight,

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 2
My only comment is that the IEM tips you use depends mostly on what is most comfortable to you - and you can't really know that until you try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back