Advice Needed: iPod Classic + AT ATHES7 + iBasso D2?
May 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tunster

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here for a very long time (since I was looking for my pro headphones - DT770s) and need some advice for my personal setup.

My iPod Classic (6G) 80GB is being filled up having been neglected for a while with whatever I can chuck at it. I'm very picky with sound quality and want an effortless set-up for my ears.

Having looked at possibly purchasing the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 (Love the looks and happy with the reviews around here), I'm now contemplating purchasing a portable amp to go side-by-side with the new headphones. Now, the portable amps (correct me if I'm wrong), seem to be more suited for IEMs rather than portable full cans. However, I like the iBasso D2 and seems to be recommended highly for its price. Would these make an difference?

However, would I benefit buying better portable cans than bonding cheaper cans and an amp together? I'm just concerned the iPod won't deliver the fuller sound without an amp to more expensive cans.

Chuck any ideas at me if I need to go in a slightly different direction.

May 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 8
well for starters you might think of posting this in the portable amps section. portable amps are tuned for IEMs about as much as they are tuned for any headphone; with perhaps a little less time spent tuning them for power hungry full size headphones. I would recommend the mini^3 over the D2 and if you have a little more dollars the D10 is superb value and very flexible. with a great sounding dac. although it wont be available again till the middle of may; its been very popular and rightly so.

May 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 8
qusp: Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure which forum to place it in as I wanted more general guidance (maybe more concentrated on the headphones), but maybe the amp is the important piece. The D10 looks a meaty bit of kit and I would get the uses as a DAC from my Dell M1330 laptop as well via USB.

May get the Audio Technicas first (unless someone can sway me otherwise) and save up for a half-decent amp.

May 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 8
the D2 is a DAC as well.

May 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 8
yes if you only need usb the D2 is good, but suffers from some interference issues with some setups via USB, plus it doesnt have op-amp rolling, and IMO doesnt sound nearly as good even stock.

May 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 8
If the D2 isn't going to the cut the mustard, I think I might save up for something better quality. I just don't want to go charging in and impulse buying my first pair of audio pleasure.

Am I going in the right direction for the ATH-ES7s though?

May 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Depends on your music preferences, but a lot of people really enjoy them, myself included. Read some of the reviews on them, and see if their sound fits with your music types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back