Advice needed in finding the right IEM ($150-200)
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cerebro

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I hope you can help me pinpoint what kind of sound I like and point me in the right direction to find the iems that fit my needs and wishes (and ears) best. I’ve a few iems that I’m interested in and I’ll try to be clear about what I’m looking for.

Budget: around $150, but willing to go up to +/- $200 if it gets me a lot more.

Possible contenders (but open to other suggestions): Hifi Boy OSV3, Fiio FH1, Ikko OH1, BFVP DMG, Shozy x Neo CP, ?? (those Bad Guy Good Audio reviews are pretty informative )

Using it with: iPhone XS and Apple 3.5mm dongle

I’m pretty new to this world of quality earphones. I used simple Sony or Sennheiser earphones for years until I switched to an Etymotic HF3 for the passive noise isolation (and better SQ). After I read an article about good and cheap chi-fi i bought a KZ ED9 and KZ ZS3 and later I bought a Revonext QT2. The Etymotic first was a definite step up but especially the QT2 gives me a sound quality that makes me enjoy music that much more. I think the sub bass and how defined or sharp(?) the lows are, has something to do with it, but it’s more than that. The mids and highs sound less muddy. Since I’m no audiophile and not very experienced I can’t really explain what’s in the sound that makes me enjoy the QT2. I guess more people here know this iem and it’s sound and may be able to tell me.

Problem now is that I don’t like the fit of the QT2 and am looking for something better but I don’t know what else is out there that appeals to me. I read about fun sounding iems vs ones that are as neutral as possible. I guess I’d like a fun sounding one more than a flat one but it’s not all about the bass and I don’t think I’m a basshead.

Other considerations:
  • the QT2s don’t fit my ears very well. Even with different tips the seal is easily broken. I can handle the Etymotic with triple flange tips but looking for something in between the QT2 and Etymotic (OSV3 shape looks good in this regard and the ZS3s fit better than the QT2s).
  • Passive noise isolation is important. They don’t have to be as good as the Etymotic but I’d like them to be better isolating than the QT2.
  • Also I’d like them to be (near) silent for people around me.
  • I bought a lot of different tips in size 4-5mm so its a plus if these fit my new iems.
  • I’d like it to have a good cable included with the iems and the cable has to be changeable.
  • I read very positive reviews on the Kanas Pro and DM6 but I’m worried the sound of these is too neutral, but maybe I’m completely wrong about that.
  • I’m open to suggestions for ways to enhance the output of my iPhone XS. Will for instance the Fiio I1 cable get me a better sound? I’m listening mostly through Spotify so a standalone DAP isn’t an option right?
  • I listen to a wide variety of music genres, but I mostly listen to movie scores, electro, electronic music (Portishead), subground (dance), hiphop and some classical music. Sometimes I listen to vocal (Whinehouse, Adele, etc) and rock or pop.
Hope you can give me some advice on this!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 16
I have not heard the QT2 but found a frequency response here:
https://primeaudio.org/revonext-qt2-review/revonext-qt2-frequency-response/
That shows a pretty strong, yet not overly boosted bass response, balanced with a moderately boosted upper mid range and a pretty aggressive spike in the high treble.
Quality of drivers at this price point is limited, so stepping up in the price bracket can bring improvements.

I owned the Kanas Pro and it has a stronger focus on upper midrange and sub bass, while the mid bass/lower mids are slightly taken back compared to your QT2.
See the diagram here: http://headflux.de/moondrop-kanas-pro-edition/

The KPE is somewhat special, very good midrange, strong but slightly soft sub bass, and good and safe treble.
Resolution, separation and soundstage are very good. Many people absolutely love them, and so did I.
There were 2 points that I found a little lacking, the first being mid bass slam and speed and the second being a timbre that seemed slightly off at times.
But that said, they were by far the best I've had up to that point, so I recommend them without hesitation. I sold them but I never regretted buying them and miss them a little.

For me they opened a door to a new world of audio quality.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 16
I have not heard the QT2 but found a frequency response here:
https://primeaudio.org/revonext-qt2-review/revonext-qt2-frequency-response/
That shows a pretty strong, yet not overly boosted bass response, balanced with a moderately boosted upper mid range and a pretty aggressive spike in the high treble.
Quality of drivers at this price point is limited, so stepping up in the price bracket can bring improvements.

I owned the Kanas Pro and it has a stronger focus on upper midrange and sub bass, while the mid bass/lower mids are slightly taken back compared to your QT2.
See the diagram here: http://headflux.de/moondrop-kanas-pro-edition/

The KPE is somewhat special, very good midrange, strong but slightly soft sub bass, and good and safe treble.
Resolution, separation and soundstage are very good. Many people absolutely love them, and so did I.
There were 2 points that I found a little lacking, the first being mid bass slam and speed and the second being a timbre that seemed slightly off at times.
But that said, they were by far the best I've had up to that point, so I recommend them without hesitation. I sold them but I never regretted buying them and miss them a little.

For me they opened a door to a new world of audio quality.

Hi Surfgeorge,

Sorry for being so late in responding to your helpful reply, I didn’t have any time to write a complete response until now.

Thanks for your advice and your time! I read a lot of positive reviews about the Kanas Pro and its great to hear that it’s probably to my liking.

I only have a few doubts about these iems. The first is that I read somewhere that they need power to shine, more power than just my iPhone XS with dongle can provide. How did you drive it? I’m contemplating to buy an ES100, that would provide enough power I think, but I’m not sure that BT will be better than wired. One other doubt is that I read someone complain about having itchy ears from the Kanas, because there is zinc in the metal alloy shells. I had something similar with a watch band a while ago but can’t remember if it was nickel or zinc. Further I’m wondering if the fit will be better (deeper) than my QT2, because I can’t get that to stay in my ears when moving about, no matter what tips I use.

The iems I have highest on my list are now:

Hifi boy OS V3 (not many reviews but mostly very positive)

Ikko OH1 (does it have enough (sub)bass without a dynamic driver?)

Moondrop Kanas Pro (see points above)

Shozy x Neo CP (great fit but little bass)

Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro (bad cable, enough (sub)bass with only BA’s?)

Tanchjim Oxygen (very short stem so probably problems with staying in my ears)

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 16
Hi Surfgeorge,

Sorry for being so late in responding to your helpful reply, I didn’t have any time to write a complete response until now.

Thanks for your advice and your time! I read a lot of positive reviews about the Kanas Pro and its great to hear that it’s probably to my liking.

I only have a few doubts about these iems. The first is that I read somewhere that they need power to shine, more power than just my iPhone XS with dongle can provide. How did you drive it? I’m contemplating to buy an ES100, that would provide enough power I think, but I’m not sure that BT will be better than wired. One other doubt is that I read someone complain about having itchy ears from the Kanas, because there is zinc in the metal alloy shells. I had something similar with a watch band a while ago but can’t remember if it was nickel or zinc. Further I’m wondering if the fit will be better (deeper) than my QT2, because I can’t get that to stay in my ears when moving about, no matter what tips I use.

The iems I have highest on my list are now:

Hifi boy OS V3 (not many reviews but mostly very positive)

Ikko OH1 (does it have enough (sub)bass without a dynamic driver?)

Moondrop Kanas Pro (see points above)

Shozy x Neo CP (great fit but little bass)

Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro (bad cable, enough (sub)bass with only BA’s?)

Tanchjim Oxygen (very short stem so probably problems with staying in my ears)

about the Kanas Pro - I have been using them mostly out of my Chord Mojo, which has a lot of power and control, but I also found them to sound nice from my iPhone or HiBy R3 DAP, which is pretty weak.
about the other IEMs listed, I only listened to the IKKO OH1 for a moment in a store and do't remember them standing out, but I was listening to IEMs up to $4000 that day, so that does not say much :)
I was only curious because it is in a similar price range as the KPE and gets mentioned regularly.
I also listened to the Tanjim Oxygen for a little while and compared it with the KPE - IMO it is more balanced than the KPE, maybe more mature and more universal.
The KPE has this sub bass and upper mids focus, and gives some music a holographic glow, which can be quite attractive. But the Oxygen is more faithful. But then the Oxygen is like $300, right?

There's always a risk to recommend an IEM, but maybe look out for a used KPE? That way you could limit your risk and if it doesn't suit you sell it off again.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 16
about the Kanas Pro - I have been using them mostly out of my Chord Mojo, which has a lot of power and control, but I also found them to sound nice from my iPhone or HiBy R3 DAP, which is pretty weak.
about the other IEMs listed, I only listened to the IKKO OH1 for a moment in a store and do't remember them standing out, but I was listening to IEMs up to $4000 that day, so that does not say much :)
I was only curious because it is in a similar price range as the KPE and gets mentioned regularly.
I also listened to the Tanjim Oxygen for a little while and compared it with the KPE - IMO it is more balanced than the KPE, maybe more mature and more universal.
The KPE has this sub bass and upper mids focus, and gives some music a holographic glow, which can be quite attractive. But the Oxygen is more faithful. But then the Oxygen is like $300, right?

There's always a risk to recommend an IEM, but maybe look out for a used KPE? That way you could limit your risk and if it doesn't suit you sell it off again.

Buying second hand is a good suggestion, but don’t know if it’s that much cheaper when you factor in the shipping and risk of buying something that may not work properly. I’ll think about it. The Oxygen indeed is a bit above budget. That’s the problem with looking for something nice to buy, there’s always something a bit nicer but also more expensive... Good to know you didn’t have any problems driving the KPE.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 16
I think most people here are careful with their IEMs so if you can find them on head-fi chances are good they are fine.
I recently sold mine and the buyer was very happy :)

Actually for your music I think the KPE is very nice. Rolling deep bass and clear mids works very nicely with electronic music. That's where they shine!
I only sold them because I missed a bit of attack in classic music and found the timbre a bit off with challenging string instruments.

Apr 8, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #14 of 16
Think you can give the upcoming kanas pro a shot talked to the guy in charge and i think he said will come out May or later. Heard it at canjam and thought it was worth more than the price. Slight dip in mids if i remember correctly but bass was solid.

A new Kanas Pro? I’m interested :) What will this model be called and can I find more information about it online?

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah there will be a new kanas pro from when i spoke to them. They literally told me in Chinese that it is the upgraded version of the kanas pro not sure if they will be changing the naming but i doubt they have released info. Just have to wait and see as they were still in testing and getting their past orders out. So they told me estimated earliest will be around May to June if it were to go into full production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back