advice needed: hd650 / dts 880/990 / ATH-A900 /UM2
Mar 19, 2007 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

baijxz

New Head-Fier
Long time lurker doing first post before shelling out for his first portable hifi setup.

I bought the Sharp HP-MD33S iems a couple of years ago thanks to these forums and they performed quite well thank you
wink.gif

But now I've accumulated enough dough so now's the time to achieve portable audio bliss.

My stereo setup is an aging sony 730es and a pair of JBL 4408 studio monitors and while I love them for their analytical and very precise sound image I'd like my portable setup to have more bass and a more friendly sound.

I'm after a comfortable fit a mellow sound that is not to harsh or analytical, a wide soundstage is a plus, and lots of resolution without the fatigue I experience with the monitors.
I would like a somewhat even frequency response, ie. wouldn't want to trade bass for less midrange etc. I've hard the 990 have a somewhat recessed midrange but I'd like to get a confirmation on this.

I listen to a lot of different genres though seldom classical music, but this might change with a more pleasant sounding setup.

I've discarded the grados which make my head and ears hurt physically within 20 minutes, though I like their sound, albeit a bit too compressed maybe.
Akg's I dont want to consider due to their insane pricing.

I'd buy the UM2 if I knew they delivered in sound quality what they cost compared to the rest. Seems like their markup is a trifle on the high side.

I can pick up the DTS 990 for 185$ the DTS 880 and HD650 for 290$ while I'm stuck with regular prices for the AT and westone. (if anybody is wondering these are german online prices)

I'm gonna buy and amp as well so don't despair over my high impedance choices. I would have ordered the hornet but the lack of crossfeed deterred me, so porta corda it is.

But basically I'm at odds over which can to buy, I'd like isolation but a good non-isolating can would do.

I've read hundreds of posts but I'm none the wiser.

Oh and listening tests are nigh impossible around here, its mailorder only :b

But hey I trust you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 2
You've just listed out the headphones I'd like to own by the end of the year (unlikely, but note the usage of the terms 'like to'
tongue.gif
)
biggrin.gif

The UM2 is extremely detailed, but the soundstage still can't compare with my A700s. I believe it still has one of the better soundstages among the IEMs in it's pricerange and cheaper though. I think you should only get IEMs of the UM2's calibre if you intend to have killer earphones for portable use. For home use, I'd suggest proper headphones. Inserting the IEMs can be a pain after awhile so there's a comfort/convenience issue there.

If Audiocubes or Bluetin's prices aren't satisfying I could probably get you brand new A900s for 140USD + shipping + $10, just need a few days to figure out how to mail stuff overseas. $10 because that's how much I need to buy a pair of 1/4" mono -> RCA adapters to use my 1212m
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back