Advice Needed: Gilmore Lite/V2 vs. Corda HA-1/HA-2
Jul 12, 2004 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DrewWinters

100+ Head-Fier
I am building a new system from scratch. I am currently nearing the end of breaking in my new HD650's and a Total Bithead (using my computer as a source) and loving it! My previous experience with headphones has been somewhat lacking - but this is incredible! But I know it can get better.

So I am beginning to build a mid-level system. It will eventually be a home theater setup + listening room. But for the moment it will be a dedicated headphone rig.

I have very nearly decided on the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi as the source (see my thread in the source category if you have advice for me! I'm still rather new to audiophile gear, just a few years...)

So.. all that to ask the most common question of this section of the forum: What amp?

After reading everything I could digest here and elsewhere I am thinking that I should aim for a solid state amp less than $600. I am considering Gilmore and Corda designs. But I can't decide from among the Gilmore Lite, Gilmore V2 or the Corda HA-1. The Gilmore amps seem to have quite a following around here - but the opinions and sound descriptions seem to be varied. Then again, the reviews of the Corda amps are equally glowing. The Rega Ear seems to be popular as well, but I haven't seen a full review of it or a comparison to other amps (so I am open to it as well, I just don't know much about any of these.).

How much difference is there between the Gilmore Lite and the V2 if being run with a power conditioner (i.e. would that take care of the downgraded power supply on the Lite?)

How does the Corda HA-1 compare to the Gilmore designs? I like the crossfeed on my Total Bithead, but I don't feel it is necessary; nonetheless, the crossfeed on the Corda gives it a point over the Gilmore in my book (but not enough to overcome if the sound quality is otherwise lower.)

I have about a month or so until I intend to purchase the source, so I may need to order the amp soon to allow for build time I guess.

And if this helps: I am used to having a 5 ft, 150 lb subwoofer at my disposal; so bass is my friend. I don't need LOTS of it - it just has to go very low and be very tight. I listen to a broad range of music: virtually everything but pop, rap and country.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 12, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 2
I just noticed sacd lover's mini-review of the new Gilmore Lite in "amp ramblings". I have noticed the somewhat recessed mids on the HD650's (although as they have broken in this has gotten much better) so hearing him say that the Gilmore "filled the 650's out" is good news to me. But how is bass extension? How does the v2 compare to the Lite in both these regards?

Also, how common/easy are customized amps? I.e. I have read several posts about folks ordering their amps (non-commercial amps, that is) with an extra input or an output in place of an input or "A" cap in place of "B" cap or any number of other little things like that. I am new to headphone amps, espcially to DIY and non-commercialized amps so I've never really heard about things like that before. I wish I could solder well....

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back