Advice needed: Full size headphones with Yuin PK1 sound signature
Apr 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

adalyan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am fairly new to this headphone thing but have been a long time hifi buff.
Right now I have the Meier Cantate and a 2Move (for portable use) which I use with FLAC files via ASIO and from Sony A818's line out with uncompressed files.

I tried many phones and still have MS1's, Ety4S, LiveWires, Grado RS1's and most recently Yuin PK1's. I thought the RS1's will be the end of the journey for me but after getting the Yuin's, I find that I constatly go to them both for portable and at home use. Yuin's sound signature must be more to my liking. I feel that I am listening to a good set of musical two way monitors when I listen to them and that is exacly what I am used to from my HiFi days. I do find the RS1's very demanding and a little bit 'too much' of a good thing. I cannot listen to them at ease. On the other end of the spectrum I did find the Senn 650's too laid back and a bit boring so I sold them.

The question right now is: What full sized headphones have similar characteristics as the Yuin's?

Your suggestions will be much appreciated since I have little chance of auditioning different headphones because of the limited distribution of headphones here in Turkey.

All the best,

Ahmet

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 3
It's funny. I bought RS-1's because I was looking for something like the PK-1's.

Overall I find them very similar...but you're correct that the RS-1's are a little more demanding, and the Yuins a little more laid back for extended listening. RS-2's are similar as well....sounding like the Yuins with full earpads on....a little warmer with less high end energy.

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 3
This thread describes the MS Pro as a less aggressive and airier sounding RS-1. But, I haven't heard either enough to say anything besides that.

edit: This is insane that you'd have to go as high as RS1/MSPro to get similar satisfaction as the PK1s... maybe you could just settle on the yuins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back