Advice Needed for Portable Cans for an iPod
Aug 31, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oneeyedhobbit

1000+ Head-Fier
I haven't been looking for headphones in quite some time; I've got an SR-60 and a Senn HD-650 and have been extremely pleased with both in the time I've had them. Now, however, its time for me to build a small and cheap portable solution. I'm working in the campus library, and everyone there listens to music--not that I could converse with my co-workers anyway--so despite my opinion that iPod's contribute to a huge loss of socialness and all that jazz, I've decided to pick one up. (Actually, I've been considering completely selling off my entire rig simply because I just don't have the time to listen to it anymore, and I want to continue exploring new music, and CDs can be rather cost prohibitive.)

All this being said, I've done some searching around here and headroom, and come up with a number of cans. Assuming I don't sell my full set-up, they will see the most use walking around in the library at work and when I'm out running, but also walking around Chicago and to and fro classes. I'm thinking that for the library I need something that doesn't leak a ton of sound. I was actually going to just use my Grados, but I don't think that would fly with most of my peers, esp. the med students who are picky enough as it stands (I'm in a science library).

Here is my list of contendors:

1. AKG K 26p (or 27i). These both seem to be well liked, and are apparently the same phone minus the volume control on the 27i and a nicer box. The assertion that they are the same phone is correct, no? These are sort of the front runner right now. It sounds like I'll take a hit on sound quality, but they're closed which is important for the library. Would they stay on my head while running, however?

2. Koss Porta Pro. Many make them sound as the best sounding solution, but I'm worried about sound leak in the library, as well as comfort--I'll be wearing them for long stretches and running with them.

3. Sennheiser PX 100. Another awesome sounding can, that apparently tends to best the 26p and possibly the Porta Pro. However, the openness again has me worried, and I'm a bit concerned that they won't stay on my head while running.

4. Its getting perhaps too expensive, but I could MAYBE swing the UE super.fi 3 (big MAYBE). Only concern is that I might occasionally need to be contactable in the library, and especially while traversing the city. I also don't want to deal with the sound effects from pounding shoes and my heartbeat while running--how bad is it?

Edit: I'll add the iGrados, but I'm under the impression they aren't out just yet.

I had also considered some full size cans that could be tossed in my backpack but not run with (namely the Beyer DT 231, Senn EH 350, or Senn HD 201), but I figure in this price range I'll just stick with my Grados, as I would like something that I can exercise with.

So, thats my list of contenders and intended use environment. My music consists of lots and lots of rock (Beatles to Pink Floyd to the Eagles to Tom Petty to Cream to Echo and the Bunnymen, Simon and Garfunkel, and I'm trying to expand), Blues (Buddy Guy, Linsey Alexander, Muddy Waters, also expanding), Jazz (Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, etc.--mostly trumpet players), and lots of classical as well (Beethoven, Mahler, Dvorak, etc.). Opinions please (especially from people who have heard these cans and senior members)?

Oh, no suggestions to spend more or get an amp or any of that business, it isn't an option right now. If and when I sell my set-up I'll look into a nicer portable and an amp.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 19
Sound leakage will also depend on your prefered listening level. MOST of the time I listen at low levels so that sound leakage is not a problem. That said, the PX100 and PortaPro will leak.

For comfort I prefer the PX100. It sat so lightly on my big head that it was easy to forget it was there. I would be surprised if it would stay in place while jogging though. The PortaPro's clamp is stronger, not enough to be uncomfortable but maybe enough to withstand jogging. (But the band has a bad habit of catching my hair - ouch!) The SportaPro might stay in place better and it has the same drivers as the PortaPro.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 19
The current model 3 Studio is damn impressive for its price point and I would take it hands down over everything else in your list. Of course I have a fairly strong bias towards IEMs to begin with...
wink.gif
The 3 Studio has a pretty flat frequency responce and is very enjoyable to listen to. You'll lose some of the air that the open cans can bring and you may have some issues with its closed nature, but if you pick up a pair of KSC75s to go along with it, you should be happy for quite some time (unless you really catch the Head-Fi bug).

As far as microphonics and occlusion goes, when walking around campus I only notice it when the music stops. I'm not one to listen very loud either so you shouldn't have any issues there. I have not tried running with them though... I think I'd use the KSC-75s for that.

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
(unless you really catch the Head-Fi bug).

Uh...look at my join date, post count, and set-up. I've been around the Head-fi block
580smile.gif
I just haven't been doing much posting lately, and now seek a good portable cheapie kind of can. I'm worried that the UE would sound fantastic, but its a bit pricey for my tastes, and I can't see it faring well when I run. I've also seen WAY too many bad reviews for the K 26p, sounds like Headroom went overboard there. How does it REALLY perform for its price as compared to, say, the Portapro and PX100? I don't listen terribly loud, but if these two cans leak a lot of sound they just won't cut it (and do they leak a lot of noice?).

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Uh...look at my join date, post count, and set-up. I've been around the Head-fi block
580smile.gif
I just haven't been doing much posting lately, and now seek a good portable cheapie kind of can. I'm worried that the UE would sound fantastic, but its a bit pricey for my tastes, and I can't see it faring well when I run. I've also seen WAY too many bad reviews for the K 26p, sounds like Headroom went overboard there. How does it REALLY perform for its price as compared to, say, the Portapro and PX100? I don't listen terribly loud, but if these two cans leak a lot of sound they just won't cut it (and do they leak a lot of noice?).

Its said that the first batch of K26P was an awesome can, but AKG did some modifications (made it more efficient i heard?), making it nothing but a midbass humper boomblaster with non-existent highs and soulless mids. Soundquality isnt even close to SportaPro and PortaPro, its not even par with most under 30$ headphones like KSC75 and so on.

So yes, Headrooms review isnt exactly valid. Atleast they sound nothing like what the describe in their site.

PortaPro and SportaPro dont leak that much noise out. Not as much as Grados atleast. Keep volume in normal levels and you shouldnt have a problem.

Oh, and iGrado should be out in week or two. Lets see how they fare.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 19
I won't be making any purchases for 2-3 weeks, so I'm open to the iGrado option (aside from the hideious appearance). However, they will probably leak way too much sound for a library application.

How much sound do the PX 100/Portapros leak? Any further thoughts on the AKG sound? Finally, no one has said a word about the applicability of any of these cans for exercise--I REALLY need to keep this cheap, so buying 2-3 pairs is not much of an option. For example, I'm very tempted to just splurge on the Super Fi 3(and would still like some opinions on sound, especially compared to other IEMs at this price point--mostly the ER-6/ER-6i), but then I'd need to buy a KSC-75 or something to exercise with.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 19
I never had a sound leakage problem with my portaPro when I had it. (sold it to a friend who needed it more than I did after my fourth headphone purchase
tongue.gif
) It doesn't leak much unless you crank it, and when you are in the library the ambient sound level should be really low, so you can turn the headphones down. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Have you considered the K81DJ? They can get fetched for a relatively good price nowadays.

Yes, but I'm worried they'll be too big for a portable application. This is something that either needs to be pocketable or fit in a very small space in my packback. Plus, the cord is way too damn long.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Also, if this helps determine noise leaking: I borrowed a friends iPod today and listened around 50%, give or take 15% (most often take, I really only capped out at 55-60%). Would the PX100/Portapro's leak too much at this volume? Bear in mind this is a University library most often frequented by medical students and graduate students in the sciences. They won't be inclined to put up with ambient music.

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 19
The PX-100's leak LOTS, I would not recommend them if you think leakage may even be a slight issue.

I'd recommend the Senn CX300's, they are semi-sealing and will provide satisfying sound.

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 19
What about the PX200?

They're basically a closed back version of the PX100. Of course there is a tradeoff in sound quality, but that's a fair (or depending on your ears a not-so-fair) tradeoff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
God, if I hear one more K81DJ recommendation, I will hurt someone.

What can I say? I live to annoy.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 19
If I'm looking at the PX 200, I may as well do the K 26p (it seems each has an equally bad rep as of now). As for the PXC 300...never been a fan of cheaper canal phones. Plus, I'd like to preserve some hearing in case...oh, I don't know, my BOSS should need to speak to me. This (and microphonics when working out) are what keep me from spluring on the UE Super Fi 3. Other opinions/cans I should look at?

I'm not wholly against the DJ81, but it seems like for the price I may as well get the above mentioned UEs as far as sound quality goes. Plus, both seem like they would not be so good for running, and only the UEs are truly portable (i.e. can be put in a small part of my backpack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back