Advice needed for choosing closed headphones
Mar 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

limaaa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Recently I bought Sennheiser HD 598, I'm listening them only at home and I connect them to the Marantz PM6004 stereo amplifier. I listen the music from laptop so I also have HRT Music Streamer II. I really like the headphones. They are very comfortable for long listening of music. The sound is smooth, pleasant, warm, and clean. The soundstage is great. I just love to listen jazz music on these headphones, they are also great for acoustic music and vocals. Music like Norah Jones is just fantastic on these HD598. The one thing I don't like on these headphones is lack of bass impact. Bass is ok if I listen acoustic music, jazz music, but if I put some rock music I'm not 100% satisfied (lack of energy for that kind of a music, little slow). So I will keep these headphones for that kind of music and for watching movies (they are amazing for movies).

So I decided to buy another pair of headphones for rock music (which have more energy, bass impact, maybe more open). I like to listen some progressive rock such as Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd. I decided to buy closed headphones so I can listen to music when my wife is in the same room as me.

So please help me to buy closed headphones for rock music. My budget is 300 euros.

I was thinking something like NAD Viso HP50 or maybe Audio Technica MSR7. But then I was reading that NAD has warm to neutral flat sound so I'm not sure if they will be good for rock music. I also read that MSR7 doesn't have much of a bass, although I like they are little on bright side. I'm not sure if I want neutral flat sound, I want more "fun" headphones.

Your opinion is much appriciated!
Many thanks in advance!

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 14
  Hi guys,

Recently I bought Sennheiser HD 598, I'm listening them only at home and I connect them to the Marantz PM6004 stereo amplifier. I listen the music from laptop so I also have HRT Music Streamer II. I really like the headphones. They are very comfortable for long listening of music. The sound is smooth, pleasant, warm, and clean. The soundstage is great. I just love to listen jazz music on these headphones, they are also great for acoustic music and vocals. Music like Norah Jones is just fantastic on these HD598. The one thing I don't like on these headphones is lack of bass impact. Bass is ok if I listen acoustic music, jazz music, but if I put some rock music I'm not 100% satisfied (lack of energy for that kind of a music, little slow). So I will keep these headphones for that kind of music and for watching movies (they are amazing for movies).

So I decided to buy another pair of headphones for rock music (which have more energy, bass impact, maybe more open). I like to listen some progressive rock such as Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd. I decided to buy closed headphones so I can listen to music when my wife is in the same room as me.

So please help me to buy closed headphones for rock music. My budget is 300 euros.

I was thinking something like NAD Viso HP50 or maybe Audio Technica MSR7. But then I was reading that NAD has warm to neutral flat sound so I'm not sure if they will be good for rock music. I also read that MSR7 doesn't have much of a bass, although I like they are little on bright side. I'm not sure if I want neutral flat sound, I want more "fun" headphones.

Your opinion is much appriciated!
Many thanks in advance!

I suggest AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50X. They have a nice bass bump.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 14
The ATH-WS99 would also be another one to look at for a closed headphone with more bass for rock. The mids are recessed a little, but I've thoroughly enjoyed them for rock and metal for over a year. They are easy to drive, so you could also use them as a good portable headphone. A little bit of amping does improve them, but you can get about 90% of their potential unamped.

One conern with them, however, would be that they do leak some sound. It's not as much as an open headphone, but if your wife isn't sitting right next to you, or has some other noise (tv, computer speakers, etc) going, she shouldn't notice.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 14
I had exactly the same problem with my similar Sennheiser HD555. I ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH A700. The A700 has a nice warm lush sound that works real well for rock without giving up the "audiophile" qualities like soundstage often lost with monitor-style phones. They sound more open than most closed designs but really fill out the thinness you get on rock music with the HD555. They have big earcups and do not exert a lot of pressure making them very comfortable. Downside is on many recordings, especially jazz and acoustic vocals, the AT can have TOO MUCH bass - making it sound like the bass player is up front, leading the band. I find myself switching between the ATs and Senns depending on the material. They are a great compliment to each other. You might even find you prefer the AT for movies too. I see the A700 has been replaced by the A700X. I assume it's similar but check reviews.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 14
I ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH A700. . . . Downside is on many recordings, especially jazz and acoustic vocals, the AT can have TOO MUCH bass - making it sound like the bass player is up front, leading the band.

You are the first person I've ever hear describe the AD700s as having too much bass. Most people find them to be bass light. Not that I'm saying that they don't sound that way to you. Just that the OP is probably unlikely to find them to be bass heavy.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 14
  I suggest AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-M50X. They have a nice bass bump.

I was reading the reviews of M50X and almost everybody agrees that they are great headphones for the money, very good bass. The price is also tempting. But many people said that they are not much audiophile sound. I don't know what to think about these headphones. I will consider them

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 14
  DT770 (There are 3 versions of this)
DT150 (I have not heard these but some people seems to like them alot)

This is very interesting suggestion. Acctualy I have never read anything about these headphones, but I will now. Can you please explain to me why are there three versions? And which one to consider if I will plug headphones in Marantz PM6004? Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 14
  The ATH-WS99 would also be another one to look at for a closed headphone with more bass for rock. The mids are recessed a little, but I've thoroughly enjoyed them for rock and metal for over a year. They are easy to drive, so you could also use them as a good portable headphone. A little bit of amping does improve them, but you can get about 90% of their potential unamped.

One conern with them, however, would be that they do leak some sound. It's not as much as an open headphone, but if your wife isn't sitting right next to you, or has some other noise (tv, computer speakers, etc) going, she shouldn't notice.

I have read nothing about these headphones, I will read the reviews now.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #10 of 14
  I had exactly the same problem with my similar Sennheiser HD555. I ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH A700. The A700 has a nice warm lush sound that works real well for rock without giving up the "audiophile" qualities like soundstage often lost with monitor-style phones. They sound more open than most closed designs but really fill out the thinness you get on rock music with the HD555. They have big earcups and do not exert a lot of pressure making them very comfortable. Downside is on many recordings, especially jazz and acoustic vocals, the AT can have TOO MUCH bass - making it sound like the bass player is up front, leading the band. I find myself switching between the ATs and Senns depending on the material. They are a great compliment to each other. You might even find you prefer the AT for movies too. I see the A700 has been replaced by the A700X. I assume it's similar but check reviews.

A700X are on disscount in my country right now, so I will consider them.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 14
This is very interesting suggestion. Acctualy I have never read anything about these headphones, but I will now. Can you please explain to me why are there three versions? And which one to consider if I will plug headphones in Marantz PM6004? Thanks

Integrated amps tend to do better with higher impedance headphones. I'd go with the 250 ohm

A700X are on disscount in my country right now, so I will consider them.

If you are looking for headphones with the sound quality of the HD598, skip the A700X and look at the A900X.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 14

There are 3 versions, and there are 2 reasons why they made them. One being that some want to use headphones without amp, so they made 32 ohm version. There's also 80 ohm and 250 ohm version. The second reason is that they also sound different - I mean basicly it's the same headphone but one version has a little more bass and one version has a little better midrange etc etc.
You can read about the different versions here (Look at the DT770):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 14
cel4145 says
"You are the first person I've ever hear describe the AD700s as having too much bass. Most people find them to be bass light. Not that I'm saying that they don't sound that way to you. Just that the OP is probably unlikely to find them to be bass heavy."

A700... not AD700.  

Closed... not open.

Whole different animal. And a goodly amount of bass.

Hate to mislead

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 14
cel4145 says
"You are the first person I've ever hear describe the AD700s as having too much bass. Most people find them to be bass light. Not that I'm saying that they don't sound that way to you. Just that the OP is probably unlikely to find them to be bass heavy."

A700... not AD700.  

Closed... not open.

Whole different animal. And a goodly amount of bass.

Hate to mislead

Opps. Sorry. Since you were comparing to the HD555, my brain heard AD :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back