Advice needed: eBay Buyer!
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rickles

100+ Head-Fier
I listed a set of headphones on eBay for about $600, I then accepted an offer on them for $500. The next day, the buyer messages me on eBay, and states that he found a better deal elsewhere, and wants them for $400. I reply that he purchased them for $500, and that he is required to follow through. He then writes that he will not follow through unless I further discount.

<this is where is gets crazy>

He then threatens to call the police on me, and tells me I'm violating the UCMJ by asking him to pay. Further, he tells me that he discussed it with eBay, and that I'm breaking the law. To be clear, all of my communications hav been highly cordial. I let him know that I intend to file a non-paying bidder, and that I will also be contacting his CO letting them know that he is reneging on contracts (I have *many* current, and former friends in service, and this was their advice). I also determined that he is in Fort Hood, and which unit he is in. Fascinatingly, he also burned down his high school when he was 17, and faced felony charges. He's a pretty interesting person.

<cop shows up at my home>

The officer explains that he received a complaint from a guy in TX, and that I am fully in my rights to file the NPB, and contact the CO. However, I should not do anything else since it may be harassment. I agreed, but I'm super pissed that he literally sent a cop to my home.

What would you do fellow head-fi'ers?

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 15
BTW how did he get your number? EVERYTHINHG is supposed to be in emails. Did he make the offer over the phone? That's not recorded, and doesn't count. If the offer is in email, it's a simple matter with ebay - file the claim, you may not get the money, but he gets black marked or booted. You should not speak to this person again via phone.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 15
BTW how did he get your number? EVERYTHINHG is supposed to be in emails. Did he make the offer over the phone? That's not recorded, and doesn't count. If the offer is in email, it's a simple matter with ebay - file the claim, you may not get the money, but he gets black marked or booted. You should not speak to this person again via phone.

Everything was using eBay's messaging system. At no point was there any phone conversation, or otherwise. Again, I was 100% cordial. Unfortunately, eBay shows the buyer and seller each other's addresses, which is how he called the town police to my home. In his case, since he's military, he uses a local PO Box in Killeen, TX at a UPS.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 15
Everything was using eBay's messaging system. At no point was there any phone conversation, or otherwise. Again, I was 100% cordial. Unfortunately, eBay shows the buyer and seller each other's addresses, which is how he called the town police to my home. In his case, since he's military, he uses a local PO Box in Killeen, TX at a UPS.

When contacting ebay, keep it simple and unemotional. Just the facts. They will see what he did as a faux pas. Probably major. I don't get tied up with that address stuff because we've been all cell all the time for about 15 years, no home phone.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 15
I no longer sell audio related stuff on eBay. I've had too many non-paying international buyers, forced returns/refund with the infamous excuse of "not as described" and as you may already know, eBay only helps the buyer. What you should've done is to stop communicating with the buyer immediately, and open a non-paying dispute, wait for the dispute to close, get your fees reversed, and relist it while ignoring any further communication. You basically threw gas in the fire when you threatened to call his CO (civilian and military laws mix) and I don't know how you got that background info on him. Sounds like you let this get to personal and emotional. Never include those two when selling.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 15
I listed a set of headphones on eBay for about $600, I then accepted an offer on them for $500. The next day, the buyer messages me on eBay, and states that he found a better deal elsewhere, and wants them for $400. I reply that he purchased them for $500, and that he is required to follow through. He then writes that he will not follow through unless I further discount.

He then threatens to call the police on me, and tells me I'm violating the UCMJ by asking him to pay. Further, he tells me that he discussed it with eBay, and that I'm breaking the law. To be clear, all of my communications hav been highly cordial. I let him know that I intend to file a non-paying bidder, and that I will also be contacting his CO letting them know that he is reneging on contracts (I have *many* current, and former friends in service, and this was their advice). I also determined that he is in Fort Hood, and which unit he is in. Fascinatingly, he also burned down his high school when he was 17, and faced felony charges. He's a pretty interesting person.

The officer explains that he received a complaint from a guy in TX, and that I am fully in my rights to file the NPB, and contact the CO. However, I should not do anything else since it may be harassment. I agreed, but I'm super pissed that he literally sent a cop to my home.

Wow... this is pretty unbelievable almost.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 15

well first of all, he is not require to follow through with the payment, he can cancel any time prior to making payment, I have done it, it doesnt hurt him or hurt you. Second, how the hell is he going to throw UCMJ on a non-military service member?

this story seems made up and full of crap.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #11 of 15
ok on a serious note OP, i don't think u need to be worried. if your account of the events are accurate then it is clear he as the offeror has decided play punk. if anything, the onus is on him to follow up if you do not accept his counter offer of $400. not sure how common law works for USA but such buyers are very common in singapore and probably other countries too. hope it works out for you and you won't be unnecessarily stressed over it

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Should this thread be moved to help and recommendations?

eBay can suck, have had a few experiences like that. If the buyer messes about then your better off canceling and relisting.

What headphones were they? and you always could post here, avxchange or usaudiomart. You could always relist on eBay and hope another buyer picks them up. Drop price to $550.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 15
He's violating multiple eBay policies. Also bidding on an item is legally binding. The worst thing that can happen to you is that he refuses to pay, you report him, and he gets a strike; but it looks like he violated multiple policies and can be kicked off eBay for the various things he's done. Did you ask the officers why they showed up? It couldn't be just because you are expecting a bidder to honor a legally binding agreement? The UCMJ thing makes no sense.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #15 of 15
I wish it were made up... It's a pretty bananas story. Anyway, thank you all for the feedback. It was a bit of a vent on my part. I should have known better than to sell on eBay.

Jeeze louise, just cancel the order next time and re-list. Annoying but not the end of the world.
^ This ...

just cancel transaction and relist, do you really need buyer like that ?
^ and this …

You cancel the sale. Problem solved. Anything else and it escalates the situation. There's nothing wrong with ebay if you follow the rules and are careful. Do the smart thing and stop the sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back