Advice Needed: Best Portable Headphone Amp for Pro Use
Feb 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you can do it, but if you do it constantly you will strip the threads on the screws for the faceplate. if you want mega operating time; get XP

Sir thanks again for enlightening me about the battery of LISA III XP. Please give me all the info if where I can purchase the battery pack and how do you plug it in at the XP? How easy it is? Now Im fully decided that I will buy the LISA iii XP. I ask Brad of TriadAudio about this but he said that the battery pack is wire soldered, Im just not sure what part is soldered. He did not give me a detail info.

About the PSU what does it mean when you said that the specication of charger should operates on non-switching (regulated) mode at 21-27v? What's so special about this charger from other 24V AC/DC?

Im from the Philippines and I hope they have this type of charger, if not I will be force to buy it at ebay.

Thanks again for giving me time on my concerns,
Joey

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordinario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sir thanks again for enlightening me about the battery of LISA III XP. Please give me all the info if where I can purchase the battery pack and how do you plug it in at the XP? How easy it is? Now Im fully decided that I will buy the LISA iii XP. I ask Brad of TriadAudio about this but he said that the battery pack is wire soldered, Im just not sure what part is soldered. He did not give me a detail info.

ah OK sorry about the misinformation there, but the batteries will still work I would think it is a simple solder joint to the power rail. I havent opened mine up to check; only got the XP a few weeks ago.

Quote:

About the PSU what does it mean when you said that the specication of charger should operates on non-switching (regulated) mode at 21-27v? What's so special about this charger from other 24V AC/DC?

it means exactly what it says; you cant use a switching PSU with the lisa; it will explode!! so just search for a PSU with the specs I have mentioned and you will be fine; here they are again this is the exact specs you need; NO SWITCHING PSU lisa will die "24 Volts DC Regulated @ 500 mA with a 5mm X 2.1mm Coaxial DC power Plug (Male).". you can use the i-go charger which is about $130USD I think. and its designed for powering laptops for travelers otherwise if you cant find one that fits the description i'm afraid the LLP is your option. BTW the LLP actually produces a better sound than any other PSU I have around. when using the LLP the background is more black and the HP have more power. a switching PSU (power supply Unit) does exactly that; it switches from AC to DC and this damages the LISA III. regulated PSU's are regulated at a certain level.

Quote:

Im from the Philippines and I hope they have this type of charger, if not I will be force to buy it at ebay.

what voltage do you use there?? and what sort of plug??

Quote:

Thanks again for giving me time on my concerns,
Joey

no problem Joey, sorry again about the misinformation. I wouldnt worry too much about it now; like I said battery technology is likely to have changed significantly by the time you need it. but anyway here is the website I was talking about and I have linked to the page with the most likely batteries; maybe 2 of these or they actually will make a custom battery pack rated how you want; I will confirm with Brad, but yeah I would wait a while, battery tech will improve and you will get even better run-time. I will find exactly the right spec for you and maybe you could just hang onto that and buy one to match from these guys in a couple of years. the XP battery will last more like the 3 you are talking about, but maybe get one sooner if you want to be prepared. only problem with buying batteries online is that they have to comply with new shipping rehgulations and so the shipping isnt cheap.

edit: do not buy that one in particular; its not right, but you will ba able to use something from that first page. I'll check for you.. no hurry

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #33 of 51
Originally Posted by qusp
quote<<< it means exactly what it says; you cant use a switching PSU with the lisa; it will explode!! so just search for a PSU with the specs I have mentioned and you will be fine; here they are again this is the exact specs you need; NO SWITCHING PSU lisa will die "24 Volts DC Regulated @ 500 mA with a 5mm X 2.1mm Coaxial DC power Plug (Male).". you can use the i-go charger which is about $130USD I think. and its designed for powering laptops for travelers otherwise if you cant find one that fits the description i'm afraid the LLP is your option. BTW the LLP actually produces a better sound than any other PSU I have around. when using the LLP the background is more black and the HP have more power. a switching PSU (power supply Unit) does exactly that; it switches from AC to DC and this damages the LISA III. regulated PSU's are regulated at a certain level. />>>quote

Sir Gusp, Thanks thanks for your help,this time I will listen to your advice. You're right I should not worry to much about the battery replacement of XP. I still have 2-3 years before I start buying a new battery pack. The site that you send to me is very informative this is about the customizable battery packs.

I think I should focus more on searching the right PSU charger for my future LISA III XP. You metioned something about exploding if I use an incorrect specs for PSU hmmm thats scary. What actually will be damage if the PSU is not correct is it the batteries or the unit XP itself? I search the amazon about the I-GO charger and theres a lot of models but I cant find the specs you gave to me. Anyway I will search the internet more for this type of PSU, and if I found some website. Can I send the site to you, so that you can give me more advice if that PSU will work for XP? I really appreciate all the help your giving to me.

Thanks and God Bless,
Joey

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #34 of 51
Since the OP mentioned K702 as a potential future purchase, I just wanted to add that the P-51 drives the K701s quite comfortably and sounds great.

The P-51 has an incredibly small form factor.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordinario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Originally Posted by qusp
quote<<< it means exactly what it says; you cant use a switching PSU with the lisa; it will explode!! so just search for a PSU with the specs I have mentioned and you will be fine; here they are again this is the exact specs you need; NO SWITCHING PSU lisa will die "24 Volts DC Regulated @ 500 mA with a 5mm X 2.1mm Coaxial DC power Plug (Male).". you can use the i-go charger which is about $130USD I think. and its designed for powering laptops for travelers otherwise if you cant find one that fits the description i'm afraid the LLP is your option. BTW the LLP actually produces a better sound than any other PSU I have around. when using the LLP the background is more black and the HP have more power. a switching PSU (power supply Unit) does exactly that; it switches from AC to DC and this damages the LISA III. regulated PSU's are regulated at a certain level. />>>quote

Sir Gusp, Thanks thanks for your help,this time I will listen to your advice. You're right I should not worry to much about the battery replacement of XP. I still have 2-3 years before I start buying a new battery pack. The site that you send to me is very informative this is about the customizable battery packs.

I think I should focus more on searching the right PSU charger for my future LISA III XP. You metioned something about exploding if I use an incorrect specs for PSU hmmm thats scary. What actually will be damage if the PSU is not correct is it the batteries or the unit XP itself? I search the amazon about the I-GO charger and theres a lot of models but I cant find the specs you gave to me. Anyway I will search the internet more for this type of PSU, and if I found some website. Can I send the site to you, so that you can give me more advice if that PSU will work for XP? I really appreciate all the help your giving to me.

Thanks and God Bless,
Joey

http://info.igo.com/mobility/datashe...eMAX_EU_US.pdf
I would be willing to bet that the igo charger is a switching power supply. I don't know of a laptop supply that isn't a switcher. I think everyone here is well meaning, but there is still some misinformation in this thread.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that any supply will work if its specs are appropriate. The PS is only used as a charger for the batteries, no?

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be willing to bet that the igo charger is a switching power supply. I don't know of a laptop supply that isn't a switcher. I think everyone here is well meaning, but there is still some misinformation in this thread.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that any supply will work if its specs are appropriate. The PS is only used as a charger for the batteries, no?

I have a 4500ma 80 watt regulated laptop PSU from Radio shack, that is adjustable from 12-24v, and accepts a variety of tips, for $89.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvikul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The P-51 has an incredibly small form factor.

Yeah. I couldn't believe it when I got the unit.

Anyway, it works fabulously with my Westone 3's. I also connected it to my home rig's DAC and it drove the HD650's admirably. It's a terrific little amp.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #38 of 51
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Living out of a suitcase on the road, so I haven't been able to post some of the manufacturer feedback I got. Once I get back home, I will post (took the iPhone and not the laptop out with me). And I haven't forgot my homework either, Kevin, I took the Turbines out on this week's tour, but I still haven't had time to listen to music privately with all the travel and work the past couple of weeks.

It is good to be busy, many others are having a tough time, if things keep up I may be buying my portable amp sooner rather than later, which would be nice.

There was a party thrown for the group Saturday, and the DJ tried to end my career by making my eardrums rattle, the person (I really should get musician's earplugs). Monday morning and my ears still ring. TTL city, hopefully no PTL, I try to stay safe.

Our flight home just got the boarding call. Gotta go, looking forward to my own bed again, and some time to listen to music for fun. When I get home I will post any manufacturer info I've received, as well as reviewing the Turbine's fully.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the iGO was one I was recommended. but yeah if its a switcher then its a no-go. firestone audio also make a nice one for about $150, but in the case of the LLp your statement about it being just to charge the batteries is incorrect. its a fully blown PSU and also charges the battery. while connected to the LLP the battery is charged at the same time as the lisa is powered. providing more power and better bias. many other chargers will do just that, charge the batteries, but not supply power to the amp, so you wont be ably to use it while its charging

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by VooX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Living out of a suitcase on the road, so I haven't been able to post some of the manufacturer feedback I got. Once I get back home, I will post (took the iPhone and not the laptop out with me). And I haven't forgot my homework either, Kevin, I took the Turbines out on this week's tour, but I still haven't had time to listen to music privately with all the travel and work the past couple of weeks.

It is good to be busy, many others are having a tough time, if things keep up I may be buying my portable amp sooner rather than later, which would be nice.

There was a party thrown for the group Saturday, and the DJ tried to end my career by making my eardrums rattle, the person (I really should get musician's earplugs). Monday morning and my ears still ring. TTL city, hopefully no PTL, I try to stay safe.

Our flight home just got the boarding call. Gotta go, looking forward to my own bed again, and some time to listen to music for fun. When I get home I will post any manufacturer info I've received, as well as reviewing the Turbine's fully.

ooohh the dreaded death rattle
eek.gif
hope everything works out ok. I cant belive you havent got plugs in your game. I suppose with your customs in you are protected to a degree

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #41 of 51
Thanks for all your help, I think I have found a perfect and cheaper PSU for LISA iii XP. From the other forum he is using the FIRESTONE power supply and he said that its a perfect match for LISA XP if you want to save money since this unit is also for audio.

Hmmm my soul is now at peace hehehe, I'll gonna buy this power supply for my future XP its only 107$. I think its better than I-GO charger if you will use it for LISA only.

SUPPLIER PSU - Firestone Audio Power Supply Upgrade - Power Supply

Thanks and more power to you,
Joey

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 4500ma 80 watt regulated laptop PSU from Radio shack, that is adjustable from 12-24v, and accepts a variety of tips, for $89.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

ooohh the dreaded death rattle
eek.gif
hope everything works out ok. I cant belive you havent got plugs in your game. I suppose with your customs in you are protected to a degree

With my customs, sound is blocked so much that I could use them shooting at the target range! I always make sure I have a pair of IEM of some sort in my pocket to plug my ears when around loud noises.

For the other guys with LISA and 24v switching PSU. You could email Travagans and see if the Travagans Black is available yet or soon, as it is a little box that plugs in between a 24v switching PSU and the amp, and regulates the power supply. It will even keep supplying power for a few seconds after the power supply is removed!

I can't tell the difference between a switching PSU with the Travagans Black and my 24v Sigma 11 with a variety of 24v equipment and both improve the sound noticeably (with Travagans Red and Green, Super Pro DAC707, Grahm Slee NOVO)

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With my customs, sound is blocked so much that I could use them shooting at the target range! I always make sure I have a pair of IEM of some sort in my pocket to plug my ears when around loud noises.

For the other guys with LISA and 24v switching PSU. You could email Travagans and see if the Travagans Black is available yet or soon, as it is a little box that plugs in between a 24v switching PSU and the amp, and regulates the power supply. It will even keep supplying power for a few seconds after the power supply is removed!

I can't tell the difference between a switching PSU with the Travagans Black and my 24v Sigma 11 with a variety of 24v equipment and both improve the sound noticeably (with Travagans Red and Green, Super Pro DAC707, Grahm Slee NOVO)

nice one, cant wait for my full customs; they stuffed my UM56 up and while they are still better sounding than any other tip i've used, they still let the sound in to a degree. when I asked for an open mouth impression the lady recommende that I just do what I would normally do while wearing them so I didnt use a bite block and she carried on a conversation with me. needless to say it didnt work out perfectly and I was just about to send my new impressions in for a refit when the ES3X announcement happened. so now i'm waiting a couple of weeks and getting westone to make UM56 and ES3X with the same new impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordinario
Thanks for all your help, I think I have found a perfect and cheaper PSU for LISA iii XP. From the other forum he is using the FIRESTONE power supply and he said that its a perfect match for LISA XP if you want to save money since this unit is also for audio.

Hmmm my soul is now at peace hehehe, I'll gonna buy this power supply for my future XP its only 107$. I think its better than I-GO charger if you will use it for LISA only.

nio problem man, I actually recommenced the firestone PSU as well, it seems to be a nice little solution. still like my LLp though. I dont mind the price. the fact that it is adjustable to anywhere between 21 and 30v is perfect for all manner of things. plus with my vanity the fact it matches the lisa perfectly is a bonus too
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #44 of 51
hi,
i'm in a similar situation and although slightly off-topic, thought i'd chime in.

i do classical remote recording, as well as editing, mixing and mastering on a laptop rig at home. i'm looking for a desktop headphone amp with DAC. ideally the DAC would have USB as well as coax SPDIF. really AES input via XLR connector would be best, but i do have the transformers to convert the signal into SPDIF.

when on the road recording, i would like the ability to monitor directly from my DAW's AES outputs and be able to switch to a pair of analog XLR outputs from my 8 channel studio DAC. occasionally i have acoustic isolation from the performing area, and would want to use my HD580 cans in those cases (i may also pick up a pair of HD600). i will always use the Sennheiser cans for the editing, mixing and mastering. for normal live recording, i have a pair of K271S MKII en route.

is there anything with analog XLR, SPDIF coax or AES, and USB inputs, in the sub-$500 range? the Grace m902 fits everything but my budget. (i'm curious, how is Grace viewed here?) Apogee has the mini-DAC, but i'm a bit skeptical of the conversion quality. i've rented a Benchmark DAC-1 in the past, but honestly, it's not real enough for me to hear the details i need to hear. any advice?

Quote:

the pico and others while good 2 channel dacs for their size, are not in any way suited to mastering/recording/multichannel monitoring.

do you mean portable headphone DACs are not well suited for pro purposes or any audiophile DACs? pros deserve good conversion and amps too
tongue_smile.gif

cheers
beerchug.gif

-charlie

May 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #45 of 51
i completely forgot my initial question: do present-day DACs offer 24 bit resolution? do they also support 88.2k and 96kHz sampling rates? i generally record at 88.2k.

maybe i should save up for a Grace...

cheers,
-c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back