Advice needed: best external s/card for music playing
Jul 20, 2005 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
I've come to a point to think about enhancing the sound quality of my PC as the main source for music playing. Currently I have an Audigy2 ZS Platinum, and I am really happy with its performance, stability and convenience in games, movies, Skype etc. But I've heard that in terms of music playing it's not the best choice out there. So I am thinking... about ADDING another soundcard for music playing with my Laconic amp and K501s.

Another internal PCI soundcard is not an option for two reasons: a) I do believe a PC case is not the best place for a sound device because of all the interference, and b) I have no more free PCI slots
k1000smile.gif

So, I am looking for an external soundcard.

If it does make huge difference for music playing (especially audio CDs), then I am ready to say bye-bye to some 250$.

From what's available in Russia, I so far am looking at the following choices:

ESI Wave Terminal U24 USB (190$)
M-Audio Audiophile USB (195$)
M-Audio Fast Track USB (130$)
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB (145$)

Or would I get any specific advantages from going Fire Wire?...
M-Audio Audiophile FW (245$)
M-Audio FireWire Solo (245$)
Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire (275$, slighly off budget, but if it really rocks, I'd go for it).

Any ideas on which one should I get? Again, main requirements are a decent DAC and good quality line out - to be WAY better than A2ZS to justify additional expences.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Today I will receive a Terratec Phase 24, the professional firewire offer from Terratec.

Expect a full report to follow.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Today I will receive a Terratec Phase 24, the professional firewire offer from Terratec.

Expect a full report to follow.

Looking forward to it! Is it this one? http://audioen.terratec.net/modules....=article&sid=5

What's the price?

Jul 21, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 11
Jul 21, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Cool!
k1000smile.gif
Do U know what it's build on? (I mean DAC chip, OpAmps etc.)?

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Jul 22, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 11
And it does provide native 44.1 output, with no SRC, right???

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV_huMMer
And it does provide native 44.1 output, with no SRC, right???

Yes. You set the sample rate in its control panel.

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Yes. You set the sample rate in its control panel.

That's cool!!! So, how're your overall impressions?

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm really satisfied. It's tough for me to express a judgement, though.

I was previously using the Audigy analog out to my Corda. Has there been an improvement? Yes, I think everything sounds crispier and fuller but... it was kind of expected. And I haven't had the time to conduct proper tests between the two. I want to enjoy music now!

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I'm really satisfied. It's tough for me to express a judgement, though.

I was previously using the Audigy analog out to my Corda. Has there been an improvement? Yes, I think everything sounds crispier and fuller but... it was kind of expected. And I haven't had the time to conduct proper tests between the two. I want to enjoy music now!

Have a nice listening
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder why would they use a 6 (8) channel DAC in an apparently non-multichannel soundcard? I checked the specs of the DAC following your link, and it's a family of multichannels. Strange choice... not saying that they're not good, but why not a good stereo DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back