Advice needed/appreciated!!
Aug 7, 2004 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RAI

New Head-Fier
I've decided to take the plunge and get some new headphone equipment for my PC. I've ordered a Gilmore Lite Amp and a Grado SR225 'Phone. Now, though, after reading this Forum, I realize that I probably need a new sound card to make everything really hum (my existing card is the dreaded Audigy 1).

I'll be using my PC solely for listening to music while I'm on the net and doing standard PC stuff. I will not be doing any recording. I will NOT be gaming, and so I don't care about anything more than good stereo (mostly using iTunes) and the ability to run whatever comes up with regular PC use. I don't care about 5.1 or 7.1 gaming audio, recording, or sound effects (except those that come up with normal PC use). All I want is great sound for my headphones, and my desktop 2.1 sound system (a Midiland S2 4100 system, using analog inputs).

The cards I'm looking at are the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and the E-MU 0404.

I've read one review at FiringSquad.com which says that the M-Audio Revolution is a VERY noticeable improvement over the Audigy. I've read another review at Digit-Life.com which says its really not.

Based on what I read here, it seems that the E-MU 0404 is the best of the cards I'm looking at for 2.1 analog stereo, high quality headphones and general computering (not 5.1 or 7.1 gaming).

So, I have a few questions I'd like to run by those here in the know, and I'd really appreciate your feedback/advice:

1.The interface to the E-MU looks a bit overwhelming and I wonder if it's too much to deal with for someone who is just listening to music and using the computer for normal use. Whaddya' think??

2. The Revo 7.1 interface looks a lot more friendly. Is the better sound quality of the E-MU 0404 worth the effort to get to know the interface on the E-MU 0404?? Is the E-MU 0404 really NOTICEABLY better than the Revo 7.1??

3. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 looks like a good compromise between the E-MU 0404 and the Revo 7.1, in terms of being easier to use than the E-MU 0404 but hopefully better sounding that the Revo 7.1. Is it worth considering? I notice very little mention of the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 on this Board, and I wonder why.

4. My Audigy has a couple of internal jacks into which output leads from my CD-ROMs are connected. None of the new cards I'm looking at have this. Is this a problem? Will my CD-ROM run OK without this connection?

Thanks everyone!!

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi RAI.......and a hearty welcome to Head-Fi. I'm moving this to the correct forum (Computers As Source Components) so you'll get some informed replies.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Emu 0404 all the way.

Or e-mu 1212m if you wanna spend a lil extra.

I wouldn't consider anything less than the e-mu cards for music.

Yes you dont need that cable between your audigy and your CDROM, those have been obsolete for many years. All audio info from your CDROM to your soundcard will be transfered over the IDE bus digititally, you have no worries.

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Asmo!

2 quick follow-up questions:

1. Is their any increase in CPU use from having this CD-ROM digital data running thru the IDE cable, as opposed to having it go from a dedicated wire from the CD-ROM to the sound card (using the digital dedicated wire, not the analog
one)?

2. Per your suggestion, I'm now looking at the 1212m card. I notice that it has "balanced" 1/4 inch analogue outputs. What's that? Is this a different type of cable? Is it better? I'll be running from the 1212m to RCA inputs on a Gilmore Lite Head Amp. If I do run "balanced" cable
from the 1212m to to Head Amp, ending in RCA inputs, does this lose the "balanced" function? In other words, to have a "balanced" cable function properly, does it have to have "balanced" connectors at both ends? I don't believe the Gilmore Lite RCA inputs are balanced. Can you help with this?

Thanks again!

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAI
Thanks Asmo!

2 quick follow-up questions:

1. Is their any increase in CPU use from having this CD-ROM digital data running thru the IDE cable, as opposed to having it go from a dedicated wire from the CD-ROM to the sound card (using the digital dedicated wire, not the analog
one)?

2. Per your suggestion, I'm now looking at the 1212m card. I notice that it has "balanced" 1/4 inch analogue outputs. What's that? Is this a different type of cable? Is it better? I'll be running from the 1212m to RCA inputs on a Gilmore Lite Head Amp. If I do run "balanced" cable
from the 1212m to to Head Amp, ending in RCA inputs, does this lose the "balanced" function? In other words, to have a "balanced" cable function properly, does it have to have "balanced" connectors at both ends? I don't believe the Gilmore Lite RCA inputs are balanced. Can you help with this?

Thanks again!

1. No, no extra CPU usage, the analoge cable from your cdrom to your soundcard is a very dated method of transfering audio, back to DOS/Windows95, I believe ever since windows 98 digital audio transport over IDE has been the norm.

2. The card does both balanced/unbalanced, I use unbalanced cables since I don't have a balanced amp. I use zu cable oxyfuels rca->rca with some rca->1/4" mono gold plated adapters you can get from radioshack (no degration of sound quality). A balanced singnal gives slightly better sound quality, you can look it up around here, I do not believe it is a big deal. I am also pretty sure the emu 0404 has the same type of connections (not balanced, but dual 1/4" mono). The 1212m iand 0404 are very close in terms of sound quality, from reviews here and elsewhere, the 1212m edges out the 0404, but its up to you to decide if its worth the extra cash, I bought my 1212m before the 0404 came out, but I would of still got the 1212m, because in that price range it is the best card out atm.

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks again, Asmo.

The only firewire port I have now is on my Audigy card, and when I lose that I'll lose firewire. It'll cost at least $40 or so to get a firewire card to supplement a 0404 card, so that puts me within $60 of a 1212m. Seems to me that the 1212m is worth the extra $60, and I don't like the "dongle" that goes with the 0404 (the wires to it seem awfully thin). So, I lean towards the 1212m.

Aug 9, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAI
Thanks again, Asmo.

The only firewire port I have now is on my Audigy card, and when I lose that I'll lose firewire. It'll cost at least $40 or so to get a firewire card to supplement a 0404 card, so that puts me within $60 of a 1212m. Seems to me that the 1212m is worth the extra $60, and I don't like the "dongle" that goes with the 0404 (the wires to it seem awfully thin). So, I lean towards the 1212m.

Both great reasons, enjoy your 1212m
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back