Advice needed: Amp < $300
Sep 27, 2008 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rodneymjones

Head-Fier
I've spend the last year or so learning about headphones...what I like/don't like. Now, I'm starting to learn about amps.

Right now, my primary cans are Beyer DT990s (250 ohm) and Denon D2000s. What are some opinions on the best amp in the $300 range for these cans. And, do you recommend tube or SS??

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, Little Dot MKV is a great amp at that price point (and tough to beat even if spend a fair amount more). Solid state amps will be a bit less expensive than a tube amp, and have zero maintenance and upkeep. Tube amps sound awesome though, and are great for high impedance cans. Your Denons are easy to drive, and I have both the Denons and the MKV, and can tell you that the sound great together. That said, I'm selling both of mine (financing a much pricier tube amp, and sticking with the HD650s as I rarely use the Denons even though I love them). I'm selling the MKV for $300 shipped, but if you're interested, make me an offer...

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, Golden Monkey, I may be in contact with you. I want to do a little more reasearch before I buy, but I'll definitely be being in the next week or so. I appreciate all the opinions you and other Head-fi'ers are offering. Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Little Dot MKV is a great amp at that price point (and tough to beat even if spend a fair amount more). Solid state amps will be a bit less expensive than a tube amp, and have zero maintenance and upkeep. Tube amps sound awesome though, and are great for high impedance cans. Your Denons are easy to drive, and I have both the Denons and the MKV, and can tell you that the sound great together. That said, I'm selling both of mine (financing a much pricier tube amp, and sticking with the HD650s as I rarely use the Denons even though I love them). I'm selling the MKV for $300 shipped, but if you're interested, make me an offer...

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I may drop the price in a bit, so keep it in mind. I'm also throwing in a better than stock power cable and some Monster interconnects...nothing great, but much better than the ones that (didn't) come with it...Check out Penchum's MKV review thread for lots of opinions on that amp.

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 8
roshankv, you've got mail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back