Advice needed: Adding vinyl to current digital headphone setup
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

keithc

Head-Fier
Hi:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and opinion.

My current office setup is FLAC -> Red Wine Audio Bellina DAC tube balanced headphone amplifier -> Audeze LCD-2. I have a lot of vinyl in the garage which I'd like to get into, but have never had the opportunity, so am now thinking about adding a turntable to my office and listening through the Audezes. There is a big space limitation, with maybe 1.5 rack-shelf worth of total space. The RWA unit does not have analog inputs. Due to young kids and family considerations, I cannot play vinyl through the main rig (VTL, Sonus Faber, etc). Music is mostly large orchestral and female pop / vocals.

What do you suggest?

Some ideas in mind:
- Clearaudio Concept Active TT w/ built in phono stage and headphone amp. Keep existing DAC for digital, and plug/unplug headphones into DAC vs TT. This allows for later upgrades to better phono stages or headphone amps, and was the suggestion by Upscale Audio.
- Same as above, but get a Rega P6 and very small phono pre w/ headphone amp, like a Mofi Ultraphono.
- Find a combined DAC/phono/headphone amp, like a Mytek Berkeley DAC+ or Rogaranok. Problem is that many of these units might not do everything well, or is MM only.
- Forget vinyl all together.

Many thanks.
Keith

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 6
If I were in your shoes I would do the Rega P6 and the phono pre/headphone amp. This way you are not limited to your upgrades in the future. If you get a nicer cartridge down the road, you may be bottle necked by the phono stage built into the turntable or dac/amp you will have. A good turntable is very upgradable (cartridge, tone arm, platter) if you get something with the phono stage built in, your upgrade path (if you choose to upgrade) could be very limited. I have found out that the biggest way to improve the sound of the turntable is actually by upgrading the phono stage and that definately weighs why I recommend this path.

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 6
I for one really liked the Mytek Brooklyn plus dac and thought the phono pre was quite good in the sub $1000 space for a stand alone phono pre amp. If you go this route buy used as they lose quite a bit from their new price and there are new versions coming out this year I believe.

I have and love the Eddie Current Transcription which is just dynamite. There are also many awesome DD tables from the golden ear of turntables from Japan. I love the Sony decks the bio tracer stuff or the Sony psx7 just rocked for nickels on the dollar. I shot the Sony psx7 out against a VPI SSM and the consensus was a draw with each table doing different things well.

So yes vinyl is dang good and if you have a collection I would heartily recommend taking the plunge

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Much appreciate the advice received.

Since the original post I decided to YOLO and take the plunge. Sold the Bellina and went all out for a Vinnie Rossi LIO w/ the DAC2.0 and L2 phono stage with balanced headphone output, as well as a Rega P8 with Apheta 3. Loving the sound so far. Next steps thinking about upgrading to the dual heated triode 300B/2A3 setup, and now wondering what the next step is for the LCD-2.

Looked at the Rosson Rad-0 and some folks here told me it might not be an upgrade from LCD-2, which I find surprising. Open to any suggestions. Am considering Verites, LCD3/4, etc.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 6
the RAD-0 is really great and far more tonally accurate that the LCD2. The comfort may be an issue as the headband can be hit or miss particularly if you have a large head as I do.
Agreed the Rad O is definately a big upgrade to the LCD2. I sold mine though because it is unbearable to wear. I also think the LCD3 and 4 are big upgrades as well. I currently own the Verite and love it. Suggestion wise, my favorite above all the mentioned headphones are offerings from Kennerton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back