advice me on some good tribal music
Jun 3, 2004 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to start listening to some indigen / tribal / percussion music
or something similar and good vibrating
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know if such exists on cd. I mean, I've been to lots of Powwows and joined in with friends with the drum, but it's a sort-of in-the-moment kind of thing. I'm curious too as to whether this has been effectively captured in a recording?

Jun 3, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 15
Peter Gabriel - Passion has moments that might fit that desciption.

also be sure check the first track of his 4th album (aka Security): Rythm Of The Heat. that one really rocks
cool.gif

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Braver
Peter Gabriel - Passion has moments that might fit that desciption.

also be sure check the first track of his 4th album (aka Security): Rythm Of The Heat. that one really rocks
cool.gif

i noticed petere gabriel inclination to it , but he's doing some sort of mix i feel it's not true tribal §( i meant something more vivid , more "heavy tribal" )

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I don't know if such exists on cd. I mean, I've been to lots of Powwows and joined in with friends with the drum, but it's a sort-of in-the-moment kind of thing. I'm curious too as to whether this has been effectively captured in a recording?

Plain .. I've listen to something tribal but it was on my free time while doing shopping or going around , ad music was coming from some speakers of some shops ...it's something kindly more complex then pow-wow with friends
even if probably they share same meanings

Jun 4, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 15
not sure what really falls under 'tribal'... but I think that I might have a few things that fit the bill...

if you have ever heard afrobeat [fela kuti, manu dibango, etc.] and enjoyed it, give antibalas a try... specifically their album talkatif [although, liberation is good as well]

you mentioned nice percussion as well... do you like tabla? if so, I can offer quite a few suggestions in that area...

for some interesting straight percussion music, try chronomad... its the drummer from the notwist and is not bad at all
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 15
philodox said:
you mentioned nice percussion as well... do you like tabla? if so, I can offer quite a few suggestions in that area...

QUOTE]

I do, please list some!

Mickey Hart's Planet Drum album is cool. I don't know about tribal, I don't really know what you mean by that.

Jun 6, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 15
I will check him out, thanks a lot.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, if you like tabla... give these a try:

talvin singh presents soundz of the asian underground
tabla beat science - tala matrix
asian dub foundation - rafi's revenge
badmarsh & shri - signs
nitin sawhney - prophesy
ramasutra - el pipo del taxi

and for something a little more tribal [forgot this one before] check out the quantic soul orchestra - stampede

Users who are viewing this thread

Back